Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just registered because I really need some help/advice. I have raised my cat Miyu nearly from birth. She was barely longer than my hand when I got her. She always followed me around everywhere and would sleep in my lap or on my bed beside me. She would groom herself and then hop up on my chest a lick my beard (i guess she was grooming me) and then go to sleep. In the past month or so, she has been strictly sleeping under the bed. Any time I try to pet her she dips/ducks away from my hand. If I pick her up, she hisses and squalls. She won't have anything to do with me unless I've got food or one of her favorite toys in my hand. I have had cats my whole life and never have had one act like this before. She tries to use the bathroom right beside the litter box instead of in it. I also noticed she is constantly flipping her tail back and forth (i read this means she is mad?). The last month or so has been miserable as I feel my cat hates me. What can I do?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hi and welcome! As a first step, I would take her to the vet. Any significant behavioral changes, such as the type you describe, are often signs of a medical issue and/or signs that the cat is in pain, including potentially dental pain. I would only consider stress or other behavioral factors after she had received a clean bill of health from your vet. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My cat was doing the same thing and I took him to the vet to find out his kidneys were almost at a point of complete failure. The vet kept him a couple of days and put him on intravenous fluids to flush out his system as well as put him on some medications. He came home and was his old self again. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please let us know how it goes. I was reading someone on one of the health and nutrition threads on this forum that certain medical conditions can cause your cat to know even know who you are, so definitely sounds like a vet visit is in order. I'm going to try and find the link to the thread and repost it here if I do. In the mean time, warm wishes for you and Miyu.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok I'm not finding that thread now I'm actually going to bed, but I'll look again tomorrow in case it would be helpful for you at all. I really wish you guys the best!! Hopefully it's something simple that can easily be remedied.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts