Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I wish I could have joined this forum under better circumstances - I decided to join today to get some advice.

Our cat is 11 years old (I think, though he may be older, I'll ask my mum and post again if I was wrong!) and has a tumour growing from his shoulder blade. The upshot of it is- the only way to get rid of it is to amputate the entire leg AND the shoulder blade :sad
Has anyone else got a cat with this extent of amputation? :( I'm worried about how it will affect his quality of life as he is an active outdoor cat!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I have a 3 legged cat, missing his front left leg. He does just fine, but you will need to keep your cat indoors only afterwards. He will not be able to defend himself or remove himself from dangerous situations as effectively and could be killed or injured.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I also had a three legged cat, missing the left front. She passed away last November, but was an amputee for several years before she died and her death was unrelated to her leg. She got around well on three legs and adjusted fine. She was at least 3 years old when her leg was amputated, so had to adjust to it as an adult. My vet remarked more than once that cats are "born with three legs and a spare" as they tend to do just fine with only 3 legs.

I agree with Kobster, that for kitty's own safety, an outdoor-only life is no longer possible.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I also fostered a kitten for the shelter who was an amputee. She was about 6 months old and lost her right rear leg due to a car accident. It took her a little longer than Tinners to adjust to three-legged-ness, but she was tearing around the house within a month of her surgery and unhindered by it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts