Cat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My name is Afton and I'm new to this forum.
I've joined because I have a kitten with gingivitis and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this problem.
My kitten Frosty is 7 months old, which her vet says is young for gingivitis. We have ruled out FeLV and the vet says the other possible causes are juvenile-onset gingivitis, which could go away, or tartar buildup/stomatitis (I'm not certain about this last part).
Frosty's vet instructed me to brush her teeth daily and go back in 6-12 months to see if her gums have gotten better/worse.
I am considering adopting Frosty's littermate who also has gingivitis. I'm wondering if anyone has gone through this with their kitten and knows whether it becomes an expensive problem in the future. I don't have the income to support extensive dental care, which is why I am trying the preventative measure of brushing her teeth now. I would like to get a companion for Frosty but I want to make sure I can provide both cats with the dental care they need. I know it is difficult to predict what care they will need in the future, but I hope brushing her teeth daily will help, since gingivitis is reversable/manageable, while treatment for the more advanced peridontal disease is more about damage control.

Thanks for your help!

Afton

1 - 1 of 1 Posts