Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone!

i am new here and in the hope of getting help for my ill cat. It is suffering rhinitis and stomatitis.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hi and welcome! I'm afraid I don't know much about rhinitis or stomatitis, but I hope you're able to get some advice here to help you with the treatments recommended by your vet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and welcome! I'm afraid I don't know much about rhinitis or stomatitis, but I hope you're able to get some advice here to help you with the treatments recommended by your vet.
Thanks for your kindness!

But sad for us, We have been met many chinese vets,but their knowledge for healing rhinitis or stomatitis are all 50 years ago,and the drugs they can give us do not work at all.My cat have been in pain for a long time....

Animal Medicine is poor in china,here is no better vet we can turn to at Shanghai.That is why i am here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More information

p429614404.jpg

This is the one suffering pains,Heineken.I would like post more about his illness.

Heineken is 3-years-old.Now there is always snivel in his nose makes him hard to breath,and when he sneeze,the snivel comes out.Also his teeth and gum are bad ,too.His gum is red and become inflamed(it should be pink).When he eat, the gum pains.

Because of that, Heineken is thin and always unhappy.We have taken him to many vets, but the treatment did not work at all. I have lost hope of Chinese vets, because they even can't tell what makes Heineken like this.I think it should be some virus,probably calicivirus.

As i said above, animal medicine in China is very poor.So I turn for help here hoping that any one have the experience of healing his nose and mouse problem.Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
You have a very beautiful silver classic tabby cat, Heineken. I don't know much about Traditional Chinese Medicine, but there might be something that could help him. Are there vets who treat cats there with TCM? I think it would be worth it to consult with someone who is knowlegeable in TCM, since you are finding so much difficulty in finding a vet who can help him.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Has he been tested for Bartonella? Research is fairly new about it. My sister's cat had mouth issues for years and no matter what they did it couldn't be cured. The cat ended up having all but 2 teeth pulled and the gums were still infected and inflamed. The vet was stumped and sought advice from higher up. That is when she learned about Bartonella. Most cats carry Bartonella and aren't affected, but a small group of them are. The bartonella was attacking this cats teeth, causing the body to think that the teeth were a foreign body so her immune system attacked the teeth and tried to force them out. Because of all this mouth pain the cat could barely eat or groom. Most vets don't think about testing for it and cats suffer. There is a test you can do, perhaps you should ask your vet if they would be willing to test for Bartonella. The link I provided below explains more about testing, the disease itself, and treatment.

I encourage you to look into this, but this is a good site to start with: Cats and Bartonella - Knowles Miami Animal Clinics

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have a very beautiful silver classic tabby cat, Heineken. I don't know much about Traditional Chinese Medicine, but there might be something that could help him. Are there vets who treat cats there with TCM? I think it would be worth it to consult with someone who is knowlegeable in TCM, since you are finding so much difficulty in finding a vet who can help him.
You are so nice for advise.I do have a list of herbs may be used for Heineken's sickness.But it is based on healing human's rhinitis.I have no idea if these herbs would be toxic to cat,because Traditional Chinese Medicine focus on healing human not animal, so I am a little afraid to use the list.But if it comes at last no other treatment works, I will try.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has he been tested for Bartonella? Research is fairly new about it. My sister's cat had mouth issues for years and no matter what they did it couldn't be cured. The cat ended up having all but 2 teeth pulled and the gums were still infected and inflamed. The vet was stumped and sought advice from higher up. That is when she learned about Bartonella. Most cats carry Bartonella and aren't affected, but a small group of them are. The bartonella was attacking this cats teeth, causing the body to think that the teeth were a foreign body so her immune system attacked the teeth and tried to force them out. Because of all this mouth pain the cat could barely eat or groom. Most vets don't think about testing for it and cats suffer. There is a test you can do, perhaps you should ask your vet if they would be willing to test for Bartonella. The link I provided below explains more about testing, the disease itself, and treatment.

I encourage you to look into this, but this is a good site to start with: Cats and Bartonella - Knowles Miami Animal Clinics
hm...it is the first time i heard about Bartonella.It seems a bacteria cause Gingivitis and Rhinitis,and those are exactly the symptoms Heineken has.I must try finding if any hospital could test.But Bartonella seems has no corresponding translation into Chinese, I am not sure if our vets would know about it...

Any way, it supply a way to heal, antibiotics 21 days.I will figure out what antibiotics could be used form vets.

It does help! Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I find more about Bartonella.It also makes the cat anemic.Heineken is not like that.Dear Pawsitively Nicole,does your sister's cat anemic?

·
Registered
469 Posts
It can cause the cat to be anemic. Molly's (the cat) bartonella was undiagnosed for a couple of years so it progressively got worse and more symptoms showed up. It started out with just her teeth, and by the time they were able to pin point it to bartonella she was beginning to have neurological problems and was 4lbs underweight. Part of why it is difficult to diagnose is because it attacks different cats in different ways. So even if your little guy isn't anemic he can still be bartonella positive. They test it on a scale of 0-5 I believe. The closer to 5 the kitty is the more severe the bartonella is in the kitties body. Molly was a 4.8.

·
Registered
683 Posts
WOw your kitty is gorgeous. I'm so sorry he's in so much pain.

If I can help you by sending you medicines from my country, I would do it gladly. If you (we) manage to find out what sort of medication can make your kitty better, and I can find those medicines here, just let me know and I'll get them and send them to you.

hugs!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I was just reading about that disease...If it is bartonella, you can treat your kitty with azithromycin. Can you get those antibiotics in your country?

If you can't find the medicines you need, just let me know. Anyways, I think your kitty must be tested first, well it seems like the obvious -and right- course of action, but since you've tried everything and nothing has worked so far, maybe you could give azithromycin a try...I don't know...

keep us posted! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It can cause the cat to be anemic. Molly's (the cat) bartonella was undiagnosed for a couple of years so it progressively got worse and more symptoms showed up. It started out with just her teeth, and by the time they were able to pin point it to bartonella she was beginning to have neurological problems and was 4lbs underweight. Part of why it is difficult to diagnose is because it attacks different cats in different ways. So even if your little guy isn't anemic he can still be bartonella positive. They test it on a scale of 0-5 I believe. The closer to 5 the kitty is the more severe the bartonella is in the kitties body. Molly was a 4.8.
Poor Molly...I am sorry for her.I hope Heineken will not be there.I will keep in mind to let vets test bartonella.

So is Molly all right now? How is she cured?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Wu Sang! Would you have access to any of the following clinics...perhaps they could help, or perhaps they might be able to advise you where you could get help for Heineken.

Vets, Animal Pet Clinic Hospital , Veterinarian Services, Shanghai: SCAA Shanghai, China

Vets, Animal Pet Clinic Hospital , Veterinarian Services, Shanghai: SCAA Shanghai, China
That's great! A SCAA partnership hospital! It makes me feel of hope! I will take Heineken there this weekend.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOw your kitty is gorgeous. I'm so sorry he's in so much pain.

If I can help you by sending you medicines from my country, I would do it gladly. If you (we) manage to find out what sort of medication can make your kitty better, and I can find those medicines here, just let me know and I'll get them and send them to you.

hugs!
It is so nice of you! I am so grateful.

Medicine is not a problem.I can get they from global buyers and agents of Hong Kong.And since Susan provide a good hospital, I will let Heineken be diagnosed first.

Any news I will post ASAP.Thanks for all!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yes, Molly is all better now! She had to be on azithromycin for 31 days. I've known some cats that were on it for 52 days. Then she was tested again and no longer had the bartonella :) Since then she has gained 7lbs (she is overweight now, but she was so underweight for so long that the vet said that she is okay with it :p) and all neurological problems and pain are gone. She is a normal, happy cat. I hope the new vet will be able to figure out what is wrong with your gorgeous kitty! You will have to keep updating us on how it goes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am happy to know that! Wish Molly never suffer any pain again in her life.

We have contacted PAW,and will meet the vet on Friday.They use a Chinese name called "Wang Wang" which is nothing related with their English name PAW,that makes me almost miss them...

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
That's great you will be able to meet with the vet. I hope they're able to help Heineken. Let us know how Friday goes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We are back with no good news.

We still do not know what cause Heineken's problem.According to the vet,there is no vice or test strips to test bartonella or Calicivirus in China.If any way to find what virus or bacteria is, it will be bacterial culture,but again no way in China...Vet only gave him some medicine to lighten the pain.I am disappointed and sad...

Then is there any method for family to know or test bacterial? Seems the only way is do the healing ourselves.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts