Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am owned by a beautiful calico named Magoogs, we've been together going on 15 years in October. She's never had a single serious health issue her entire life until now. I'm very worried about her. We are moving, the place is in disarray and it no longer resembles a home. She developed heavy rapid breathing about five days ago and hasn't eaten in two days. I'm pretty sure it's the stress that's giving her difficulties but maybe the stress has triggered something else more serious.

Also I'm under a great deal of stress myself as I am also trying to move a 75 year old uncle who's suffering from dementia closer to family. Needless to say, it's a crazy time for all of us.

I'm a 44 year old guy going back to school after working in Canada's diamond industry for 8 years, it's a big change, things are happening fast and everything is chaotic. Is my old girl suffering from this drastic change in her home environment and the stress that she is sensing from me?

She's been with me through thick and thin - four breakups, death of my mom, good times and lean times, I love her with all my heart and I'm really worried about her. I took her to the vet yesterday and we're awaiting the results of the blood tests. She started to go down hill after the house was packed up.

Please advise if you've had a similar situation. And maybe if someone has any tips to make her more comfortable and to eat something.

Thanks all.

Funs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello again......

So I thought I'd better introduce us some more.......

Magoogs came into my life when I was 30 years old, I was living on my uncle's couch and going back to school that fall ('97). She was incredibly sassy and unbelievably cute (calico). Even though I slept on a couch for 7 months, she would sleep on my legs almost every night. In the morning around 5 30 (almost exactly every morning) she would stick her nose in my face to wake me up and demand breakfast. This would be our routine for the next 14 years. It actually worked out okay as I would normally have pee anyway.

One day in 2001 uncle called me and told me that she had been killed by a fox, I remember the day vividly, it was September 8th, I was devestated and in disbelief. I greived (yes I cried) but accepted what had happened. Apparently the fox had snuck up and snatched her away in it's jaws. It was an empty, horrible feeling, just like tragically losing a family member (she was).

Strangely enough however, three days later when the world was going crazy, she showed up at uncle's door, bloodied, bitten and mangy, but alive. He took her to the vet immediately and she spent the next week recovering. She made a full recovery in the next two months and became her old self again, as if nothing had ever happened.

A year later, uncle said he was going to give her away, I was super pissed at him (he had no particular reason) and at the time I was a struggling broadcaster this time living in a boarding house that didn't allow pets. I didn't want to lose her so she had to spend the next three months in a kennel. Needless to say, she was none to thrilled about that experience, but we eventually settled into a decent apartment, even though my girlfriend at the time was allergic to cats and gave me the ultimatum, Magoogs had to leave or she would. Eventually she did (it was all good).

In 2005 I lost my mom to lukemia. It was a rough time, we thought mom had it beat but it came back even more aggressively. Uncle and I had driven a long way to be with mom on her death bed....but we were too late, we never had a chance to say goodbye. When I got back home, Magoogs must've sensed my grief. She would perform crazy cat high jinks every night to get a laugh out of me, and it worked. On some sad nights she would hop up and cuddle on my lap giving me soft little meows, as if to say "it's okay papa, I'll be here for you no matter what".....reow.....

Anyway, that's the back story. I almost married twice, never had children. I grew up with loveable cats who were always full of personality. Magoogs is no exception. She loves company, she still loves to play and up until last week, she was full of pee and vinegar. I hope it's just the stress of her home being dismantled that has her in this funk. I'm really worried about her and although I know she getting up there in age, I think she has at least five more good years in her.

I hope she pulls though. Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I am sorry to read about all your complications - it sounds like you really have your plate full at the moment. As far as your Magoogs goes, she really should be seen by a vet immediately! She could be having heart trouble, an illness, or even pain from something else. Not eating is a sign of a potentially serious problem, too. I know it will be hard, judging by all you are juggling, but your girl needs help. Lots of luck and please let us know how it goes!

Fran

·
Registered
716 Posts
Your story brought me to tears. We lost one of my childhood cats when she was attacked by a neighbors dog, it is a terrible, terrible feeling. I cant imagine how it felt to find out that she was still alive after being attacked like that. Animals have incredible fight in them. I am praying that her bloodwork is okay and you have many more years with her, she sounds like a really special kitty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts