Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening,

My girlfriend and I have been out of town this last week. A friend had tended to our three cats in our absence. We returned on Wednesday night. Our newest cat (we've had him since March), a large two-and-a-half year old onetime stray, neutered shortly before we adopted him, was, we noticed on our return, unusually aggressive with our two six year old spayed females: he stalks and then pounces on them.

We'd finished dinner and my girlfriend had stepped out to run a few errands. I was alone, reading on the sofa. The male cat was stalking the smaller of the two females. I had figured it was best to let them work out whatever new trouble was on their own. She's not afraid to bat and hiss when she feels threatened, and usually when she does so, he backs off. I heard some scampering and, then, a terrible, extended and weirdly human scream. I dropped the book and ran over to find that our male cat was attacking the female between a bookshelf and a plant stand. She was very afraid and in pain. I clapped and shouted but he didn't let go, so I grabbed him by the neck. The female managed to escape but as I was puling him off her, he turned and began to attack me very violently. He left six scratches on, and a very deep bite in, my hand. I got him off me, threw a blanket over him and locked him in another room.

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do. He's always been rather more wild than the other cats. He's very wary of, and occasionally aggressive towards, humans. As often, though he's mild and friendly. He's had some tough breaks. He's very muscular, but his breathing has always been labored. The vet thinks he was hit by a car while he was a stray. He had five rotten teeth that needed to be pulled at the begging of June. We think he may have been born a stray and lived as such for the two years before we adopted him. I wonder if he isn't hopelessly under-socialized and wouldn't do better as an outdoor cat. When we adopted the smaller female, her previous owner had had her front claws removed. I'm worried our male cat will hurt her. (We're less concerned about the other female, who's nearer his size and has a all her claws and teeth). The littler female is going to stay with my mom till we figure out what to do.

Would deeply appreciate any advice.

·
Banned
198 Posts
check out the bite and scratches with a doc. i let a bite go, turned into a very severe infection. as far as the little female being declawed, she should not be with other cats who have their claws..
sorry for he small letters. broke my arm and are typing with non dominant hand..

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You could declaw the male, but Definitely take him and ask the vet.
This is poor advice. Declawing cats is cruel.

You say he might do better as an outside cat. How possible is this? Is your area conducive to letting him out? If so, this might work. You can still take care of him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts