Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm Krystie, aka Buggy. I'm a senior certified pharmacy technician with Walgreens, married for ALMOST 4 years to the love of my life, mother to a wonder 5 year old daughter who is amazing, and owner of a Congo African Grey parrot (1.5 years and a BRAT) as well as a new 11 week old adopted neutered boy kitty named Smudge. :catmilkLooks a bunch like that actually...

Smudge is a sweetie. VERY nosy, constantly purrs, B-E-G-S for his canned food, insists on being the center of attention, follows you everywhere and cries if you are behind a door, tries to eat everything he can that he shouldn't (corn, rice, cheese, pickles, poptarts, cherios, cereal out of your bowl, etc)... He also is scared of the bird, fortunately, although Petrie (the bird) is quite interested in the cat and tries to talk with him!

We have owned many many many animals before. Snakes. Lizards. Scorpions. Fish. Tarantulas. Various birds. Pet mice. Pet rats. Sugar gliders. Guinea pigs. Rabbits. But never a cat or dog before. Hubby is allergic to an extent, although some cats are not too bad for him (such as Smudge) - thus we never tried a kitty before. Now? I don't want to give the sweetie up for the world!

Currently? Smudge is currled up in my basket that is supposed to hold my papers that need to be sorted. He's claimed it as one of his sleeping spots. The others? The middle of the couch, and on top of hubby's directions for his model cars!!! Silly cat.

For now, he's on Eukenuba kitten dry food. I'm liking Authority too, and considering it as a future dry food. Also using Friskies various canned, but blended as it's chunky. Once that's used, no more. Hubby picked food at first, BTW... He also picked up a couple cans of Science diet kitten canned, and will use that up. I like Authority for now in wet food too. Picked up a few cans of that, and may get some dry food as well once the current food is used up.

Questions, if anyone wants to discuss here (will ask in proper places later). :)

1) What are your thoughts on decency food-wise of Authority dry and wet foods? Eukanuba dry? What other foods are good quality but not the hyped prices (I know there are always some out there!)? Prefer the lowest-cost-per-ounce while still of good quality for the kitten's health and growth. Not going cheapest, just lower cost good quality.

2) How much food should an 11 week old kitten be eating generally? How much dry, how much wet? Smudge prefers wet, and cries whenever he's hungry until you (*cough* my HUSBAND) gives him wet food... Dry food will last us FOREVER!!! ;)

3) How can you prepare an older kitten (9 months old aprox) for a baby entering the home? Yeah... Adopted the kitten when I'm 3 months pregnant, and will NOT give up animals just cuz we have a baby coming home. Want him to be happy, but not jealous of the baby as best as we can help.

Thank you!!! :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think Authority is an okay brand if you're looking for something better than Friskies or Fancy Feast. The best food is grain-free, though. It's a little pricier, but they eat less of it, so overall it's better. Better down the line too. A lot of people will recommend not feeding dry food, but sometimes it just costs too much to feed only wet. I make sure to feed my kittens twice a day with wet food and just leave out dry food all the time. They're 9 weeks old. I'm not going to start watching what they eat until they're around 6 months to a year just because they need the extra food.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Braxen. I feel the same with having dry food out all the time for now. He's a growing cat, and needs the food. My husband, though... Feeding lots of the wet food in morning, lunch, evening, and sometimes more at night! SHEESH!

As soon as we switched to Authority, though, the poo went brown instead of tannish. ;) Vet said it was just the type of food he was on, but I'm much happier now. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts