Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone. I am new to the boards and fairly new to cat ownership as well. I was always more of a dog person but one look at Min (who was being fostered at a pet food store) and everything changed.

The main reason for being on this site for me is health conditions.
We have a cat that is approx 7 yrs old (not exactly sure since he was a stray) and have had him for two years.
He never has been heavy, but he's lost some weight and I am concerned. I am hoping someone has some ideas.

He is approx 7 yrs old and neutered. He has lived with us for four years. When we got Min, he weighed close to 11 pounds. Gradually he has lost weight and is down to about 7.5. When we brought him in to get checked, he was vomitting quite a bit. He was also pretty quiet.. slept a lot. The vet gave him Hills Recovery cat food and gradually he gained his appetite back. Things seemed great - he was eating more, active, happy... but then he started doing things totally out of character. He has been a really good cat for not jumping on the counters, but now he is up there all the time. When we eat, he meows and has great interest in what we eating which he never did before. Even though he is eating well, he doesnt seem to gain weight. He eats well, but along with the wet food, he has some dry food, but he picks at that, there is always some in the bowl.

Everything seems to point to hyperthyroidism... yet he had bloodwork done last summer and it was all normal. Is it possible that he has had this quite a while and its just never showed up in bloodwork? And its odd how he seemed to go from not eating enough.. to wanting to eat all the time. I am hoping that when we bring him to the vet tomorrow, we get some answers.

Thanks for this great board, hope to learn a lot.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hi and welcome! I believe it is possible for HyperT to not show up in bloodwork, but I'm not too knowledgeable in the area. We have a number of members here who are very knowledgeable, and hopefully one will be along shortly. In the meantime, I will just say that I hope you're able to get some answers relating to Min and I hope it's nothing serious.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts