Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hello. My name is Mel. I decided to come on here to meet other cat lovers. My heart is breaking because I am about to lose the love of my life, Weiland. He is a black persian and about 12 years old. He has lung cancer and just threw a blood clot in his leg. The good vet saved him, and I was able to bring him home two days ago. But due to the clot, I had to stop his cancer meds for a time and he is suffering, I think. I just do not want to put him down. I am praying he dies naturally. Sometimes he seems fine, he is still very affectionate, and other times he is just looking so sad.
I feel so alone and I am tormented by the thought of having to make this decision. I cry all the time and I cannot be happy no matter what. I know there are people on here who understand. This is my first time in going through something like this. :(

·
Super Moderator
26,804 Posts
Believe me, there are many people who understand what you're going through. I went through it a year ago with Cinderella.

I know it's hard, but I couldn't let her go "naturally" - even though I would have loved one more week, one more day, even one more hour with her. There's nothing "natural" about being in pain and suffering. Cats are masters at hiding pain. Sometimes the kindest thing you can do is also the hardest.

Mel is absolutely gorgeous, and I know your heart must be breaking, but if it's his time, he should go painlessly, in the arms of someone who loves him. :patback

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree with Marie. Last year, I had to put down my 3 year old beautiful Ragdoll. My husband and i were absolutely devastated and he died of organ failure. I was at the emergency vet, his temperature wasn't registering, and he threw up blood. I knew in my heart i wanted to hold onto him, but that's our selfish nature, the selfless thing to do is to put your loved one to sleep. As Marie said, cat's often times will not show pain, and try desperately to hide it due to their instinctual nature. I am so so sorry you're going through this, but I know that Casper will always be with me, and Welland will always be with you. Your heart will heal with time, you will always miss him, but your heart will love another. My husband and i bought a beautiful kitten in October, and he has brought so much joy to our lives. You'll get through this :) lots of love!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Alot of us do know that pain. Its always a hard choice and no matter which way you go, you feel guilty. I myself had to put down 2 of my cat companions in the last year. Squeek had cancer and her litter mate Paws had a stroke soon after. They had both been with me since they were born. One right before their 17th birthday, one right after.

The pain of losing them stays with you awhile. We welcome you to the forums and wish it was under better circumstances. We do look forward to pics and stories of your lovely cats life. It may hurt for awhile but sharing the loving and funny stories with others keeps them alive. And we would be honored to help keep those memories fresh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, he is on an aspirin regimen right now for 10 days. But he isn't eating again...so I had to give him a pill that the vet gave me. I had a friend suggest "holistic" medicine. Has anyone tried this? This person swears by it and it saved their cat's life. I am not sure if it will "save" Weiland, but anything to help him feel better. :catmilk

And just now he let me pet his belly like old times! He had all four paws in the air and was just purring....maybe he doesn't feel "as bad" as I fear. This made me happy...and made me cry. The greatest thing about this cat is that he is so affectionate. He is such a ham. But he is also a diva. Anyone with a persian I am sure knows what I am talking about! :kittyturn

Thank you everyone for your support and kind words. I don't mean to be selfish, but I also want it to be right. I don't think he is that bad off yet. I think I have a little more time to love on him still until it gets real bad.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts