Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Carla..

recently adopted two 4 year old female cats, Lickorish and Squeek. Was told they were sisters by the foster mom, but later found out they were about 2 months apart. They were trapped from the same feral colony as kittens (Squeek was about 6 months, Lickorish 4 mos) at the same time. Lickorish took a shine to Squeek and they wanted to keep them together. there was a failed adoption previously, after 1.5 years, the family said they had allergies and dumped them in the humane society night deposit. Thanks to microchips, they ended up back with the former foster. She didn't have room though, and they were confined to a room for over a year, then let into he rest of the house with the other fostered cats. Lickorish was very stressed by all the other cats.

Squeek is doing great. Lickorish, the younger one, only comes alive when Squeek is in the room, and hides most of the day. Would love to see her out during the day. I am able to pet her and play some at night, but she is still afraid of my husband.

They are strictly indoor cats!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome to the forum CJinCA!

i hope that time will heal the fear of Lickorish and she will get used to you and your husband. it is not easy for cats to be moved from one family to animal shelter and after again. all of that is very stressful for them. she will probably need some amount of time to adapt. I wish you good luck!
PS: when did you get your kitties? is it afew weeks, months?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Hopefully Lickorish will learn that there's nothing to be scared of and become more comfortable in time. Would love to see photos of them.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got them on Nov 6. Squeek took about a week to make herself at home. Now when she's not sleeping or eating, she follows her humans around to see what they're up to.

Lickorish is still a shy girl, but she now sleeps in my bed when Squeek is there too.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got them on Nov 6, 2011.

Lickorish is still shy, but getting better in small steps. My husband can now pet her and she purrs, but she is still tense when he is around and usually goes to hide. She'll sometimes sleep in my bed if Squeek is there too.

Squeek follows us everywhere when she's not eating or sleeping.

attempting picture here...not sure how this works

·
Registered
129 Posts
Give it time and your kitty's should come around, Gato used to be such a scaredy cat always hiding from us but now he loves us to death. Then we introduced him to the dog and whenever she was around he'd be hiding but now he's fine with her. Then we got renters and whenever they were around he'd take off up the stares and hide in the bedroom, now three months later! He lets them pet him. Lickorish will probably get over her fear with time, and having squeeks there to ease her fear should help tremendously!

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Your husband might try sitting on the floor so he doesn't look so intimidating to kitty, some treats and a dangley toy my help too.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone!

My hubby has been trying to crawl up and pet Lickorish when she's not in her 'safe house'...today she didn't go in there! We're having him give all the treats for now. He did play with the danglie toy today for awhile and she was trying to grab it, didn't come off her mat though..then I had to take over and accidentally hit her paw with the hard end of the toy (I didn't see her sneaking up behind the door), so now she's mad at me :-(. She's walking all right and I checked her paw. She shook it a couple times initially, but its not tender now.

Thing is, during the day, she just seems to tolerate us petting her, but when Squeek comes in the room, then she starts purring.

At night, she runs around (if hubby is not there) and wants me to pet her, but keeps an arms length away. Then I wake up later and she's in bed with me and Squeek.

I think Squeek gets annoyed as Lickorish is always head butting her (from affection). I've seen Squeek growl and hiss, and even swatted once. Lickorish is probably twice her weight, so maybe she feels a little bullied.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts