Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a lot of cat experience and was just looking for some advice about a stray cat. I live with my gf, and she has an 8 year old cat that is the first cat I've ever been able to tolerate, as I have some allergies. We get along great, but she doesn't play well with other cats. She's really aggressive whenever I let her outside, and is basically a 100% house cat.

Well, I kind of fell in love with a stray that was around our back door. She had a home, but the inhabitants left her when they left, and she looked much different than the other feral cats. More scared, less able to fend for herself, just scared of everything. I've been feeding her regularly, and I now put our cat in a room occasionally for awhile, and she has started to trust us enough to come in. I have filled her out, as she was so skinny before.

The problem. It has been a mild winter so far, but right now it's freezing rain turning into snow with 9 inches expected, and quite a few bad days ahead. I put our cat into my gf's bedroom, and brought her in tonight as she was huddled underneath a piece of patio furniture without any cushions on them and didn't seem prepared for this weather. I'd guess she's about a year old for reference, my gf agrees with that number, and has had many cats.

She has warmed up to us, but she is still a skittish cat. I just want to keep her warm and alive until I can figure out a solution. I put her in a spare bedroom with food/water for the night. Our cat will traumatize her if I let them both out, and it's not fair to our cat to keep her locked up in a room when she isn't used to it. Our stray isn't crying or scratching at the door. She hasn't made a peep. I just want her to be able to sleep without concern about keeping warm and other animals. She seems so tired.

Is there anything wrong with this? I can't imagine a scenario where letting her stay out in this is advisable, but as I said, I'm a cat newbie, and my gf isn't even sure. I have always given the stray space, and any time she comes in, I let her right back out when she gets antsy, but right now, that's not in her best interest. As I said, she's not making any noise, and I think she's content, but I feel bad in a strange way closing her in because she's scared, but I think it's the best thing considering the alternative until I can find her a home. In the morning, I'll put our cat in our room and let her out, feed her, give her some love, and then hopefully I can let her out weather permitting for the day and she'll return at nightfall. We feed her well, so I imagine she will come back. She basically lives in proximity of our door at this point with as much as I'm feeding her.

Both cats are female. Mine spayed, I have no idea bout the other cat just for reference.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welcome!

It sounds like the stray kitty is happy to be inside in the warm. If it were me, I'd definitely keep her. She needs someone to love her and not abandon her like her first family. It seems like she chose you. Your other cat will adjust in time to the new kitty.

If you do decide to keep her, take her to the vet for a check up. The vet will be able to tell you if she's been fixed or not (she probably has).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts