Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I currently have 2 cats, both just turned 5yr old. Mia is a Traditional Seal Point Siamese (a/k/a apple head siamese) and Jules is a Natural Mink Tonkinese. This weekend I will be taking in a 2 1/2 year old Birman named Gepetto. A family member living in Hawaii is sending him via a 10+hour flight to Alabama. So I was looking for some advice on what to expect after he's been on an airplane that long! I think I'm suppose to post that question somewhere else lol. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
Welcome!

Any chance Gepetto could stop off in San Diego for a day or two, or a thousand? I'm so happy for you, Birmans rock!

He'll probably just want to find a safe place and hide for several hours. That's what I want to do after a long flight. :grin:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll add "blanket" to my list of things to take - that way I can drape it over the top his carrier in case he wants to stay inside and hide. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link - I read that article and have watched most of Jackson's video's, but I need to send that to my husband so he can read it again. I haven't ever really introduced cats before... at least not in the correct way lol I have always lived in the country so we had outside / barn cats, cats that just showed up and stayed etc. Never had to introduce any that lived inside. I was more concerned about what to do once I pick him up at the airport. I'm not really worried about introducing the new Birman to my two resident cats. The Birman is suppose to be a laid back easy going cat, he was raised with 4 small dogs and never had a problem with them. I'm not really concerned about Jules, the Tonk - he thinks everyone, cat or dog, should be his friend and has a fit to play with my neighbors cats every chance he can get! I plan on sleeping in the room with the Birman when we get him home, and my husband wills stay in the Master with Jules, when my husband is at home I might as well not exist as far as Jules is concerned. So as long as my husband makes sure that he pays enough attention to Jules so that he doesn't get his feelings hurt, I think he will be fine. Now Mia the Siamese is a different story - what can I say, she's a typical female cat. Even though Jules is definitely the dominate cat, Mia has attitude like you wouldn't believe! She gets along with Jules perfectly fine, they still cuddle together and bath each other. She is very shy and runs to hide if the door bell rings. So I'm worried about her. Mia Loves to be chased and to play - she has little mini pyscho episodes several times a day where she runs through the house up and down the stairs, attacking toys and her cat tree - all the while making little revving up sounds lol She's trying to get Jules to chase her and play. So I think if she would give the Birman half a chance she would like her new playmate. Supposedly the Birman and his dog brothers ran and chased each other all over their house. Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I am new myself and this site has really been great. It sounds like you have some really fun kitties. Looking forward to reading about how your new friend is doing. I am sure you have thought of this, but the only thing I can think of is trying to have the exact same food kitty is eating and finding out how much and when she/he is eating. Also, planes dehydrate so I would make sure there is water available when you get home. I would find out if she likes to drink out of the faucet. Our kitty would drink out of the bathtub faucet. Take care! See you around the forum.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Welcome to you and your kitties. Good luck to you as you add one more to your household.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Chuck. Yea I found out what brand he was eating and as much as it killed me, I bought a small bag so at least that much won't change for him, and he was free fed (food left out all day) I will let him continue that until he's comfortable with his surroundings and my other 2 cats, but plan on switching him over to a much healthier wet food and he will be fed on a schedule - just like my other two, I have to watch their weight and the Tonk will eat anything! so I can't have dry food just sitting around 24/7. I hate that his whole world is fixing to be turned upside down. He was born and raised in tropical Hawaii and is having to move to Alabama! It was below freezing here last week! I have a big jeep suv - so my husband and I plan on sitting in the airport parking lot with him for a good while after we get him in the vehicle, laying all the back seats down - offering him some food, water and a litter box. I use a ceramic fountain at home - which I hope will not be a problem - because supposedly he loves playing in water (odd I know) to the point that he will try and get in the shower with you! lol I will post an update after I get home Saturday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts