Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone, my name is Chris, and my girlfriend and I have 2 cats. I have one 18yr old, and a new 4 month old kitten.

As I mentioned in my introduction, I have an 18yr old cat, that I have had her entire life since she was 8 weeks old. 2 weeks ago, we brought home our new 4 month old kitten that we adopted, and the 2 are still not getting along that well.

We followed guidelines for keeping the new kitten in a room alone for a couple days letting her get adjusted, and then on the 4th day or so, we let them meet, and there was hissing as I expected from the 18yr old cat.

My concern is if this will ever get better. The hissing isn't as much as before, but still hissing, and when the kitten tries to play, it seems to aggravate my other cat, which leads to hissing, and her running away. I am worried that maybe we messed up, and will cause my 18yr old to get upset with us, and I really don't want to stress her out, or think we are replacing her. We still give her plenty of attention, but of course her personality is a little different.

Is it common to go on this long, and does it sometimes take even longer? They don't need to be cuddle buddies, but I would really like if my other cat would calm down a bit since at 18, she really doesn't need any added stress.

Thank you all, I look forward to hearing from you!

·
Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
Welcome!

Hissing? Hissing is fine. I might have kept them separated for a little longer, then swapped rooms/scents, but heck, kittens are usually not a threat and the hissing should stop soon.

Give the older cat lots of special attention (which I'm sure you already are). Give them treats together so she'll learn that "being together" is not a bad thing.

And don't be concerned if your cat gives the kitten a swat or two, she's just teaching her boundaries and manners. :grin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response!

My biggest concern actually is for the older cat. She as mentioned is 18, though everyone says she looks very much younger, and aside from arthritis she is very healthy.

What my fear is that the introduced cat might stress her out, or cause her to become depressed, which at 18, I don't want. We still give her as much attention as before, if not a little more, but when she is receiving the attention, sometimes she is just a different personality.

The kitten just wants to play, and enjoys stalking her, and running up and giving a quick swat, which the older cat doesn't seem to enjoy. I know all cats are different, but is it normal in some cases it might take a month or so to adjust?

Another thing was the kitten we haven't given a bath yet because she was VERY shy, and we were warned of that before hand. She is only now getting comfortable, and we plan to give her a bath in the next few days. Is it possible that might help my cat, since its a clean scent, rather then smelling other cats on her as well, or am I over thinking it?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
Unless your kitten is dirty or has fleas, there's no reason to give her a bath. What you might want to do is put a drop of vanilla on the back of each cat, take a towel and rub it on one cat, then the other, so they'll smell the same.

I don't usually recommend this, but in your case, I'd adopt another kitten right away. Maybe she was bonded with a sibling or friend where you adopted them from. They'll have each other to burn up all that energy and they'll probably leave your older cat alone. Cinderella wasn't a fan of the kittens when I adopted them, but she put up with them. Thank goodness I got two!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey,

Thanks for the Vanilla idea, I gave it a shot, but am not sure of the results so far. I noticed the 2 were starting to be better together, and around Monday or so, the kitten went into heat (before her spay appointment unfortunately). Since then the other female cat is much more aggressive, and less tolerant of the kitten. If the kitten jumps on the couch next to her, rather then just hiss, and back away as she used to do, lately she is slightly more aggressive towards the kitten, and my question is whether or not its due to the kitten being in heat.

I heard it can cause other females to be defensive, but I have no experience in this. Is it possible this is all due to the kitten currently being in heat, and once she is spayed next week, it should resolve, and start getting better?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
If that's when the change in attitude began, then I would think it could go back to being okay after the kitten is spayed.

At first, though, be prepared for a bit of a setback because cats smell different when they come back from the vet, so even best buddies can have issues for a day or two.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar problem when I brought Lu home, she was in a real bad condition due to irresponsible sub standard care and being seperated from mum at four weeks :( She was the tiniest little 5 week old kitty I'd ever seen but we soon fixed the little fighter up :) My two boys were actually scared of her lol! Bo particularly had trouble adjusting and gave her quite a few little bashes on the top of her head when she didnt keep her distance. That said, within about two weeks he had become real loving with her, he groomed her all the time, snuggled with her and she was even suckling on his fur!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.