Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eddie came to us as a stray 49 days agojavascript:emoticon('8)')
currently Eddie is our only non-human resident
I've had strays before.
i know the drill that as the formerly stray kitty gains weight and adjusts to regular meals that there may be some big odors from the cat box that eventually level out.
well Eddie isn't leveling out.
he's gained weight, healed up, mites are gone, gotten neutered, and looks good. he's incredibly active and vets said he was 7months old when we found him....
but HOLY COW that cat box!! javascript:emoticon('==%3E')
i have lived with up to six cats at once and this is unique.
there is never a urine smell - i assume this is because he goes so close to the litter? i don't know.
however for non-urine deposits we have to RUN (with a clothespin on our nose) and clean the box every time he goes. eeeek!
for food--the first 10 days or so we had him on wet occasionally and dry always, in an attempt to lower the unabashed stinkbomb effect we have been trying to keep it to just dry always. i thought i'd get advice before we changed brands since i DO NOT want to add puking to the mix.
Eddie's odorifluous creations have become the frequent house joke, but i'm thinking the fun will wear out-- his catbox has anonymously authored signs on it that say "HEroshima" and "ground zero" (aren't we witty here)
Eddie never covers up his solid offerings, but i don't think that this much stink could be solved if he did.
ANY THOUGHTS??

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Which food brand do you feed him? that can sometimes have an effect.

i cant think of health reasons why he is stinky, but i may be wrong, i dont know the ins and outs of cat health. I guess like all numbers 2's they dont come in purfume wrapped parcels!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would start by easing him onto a better brand of cat food. Meow Mix is really not a quality food at all and all the dyes and artificial flavorings can be rough on sensitive stomaches. Also, if you are still feeding him canned, I have noticed that fish foods can result in a BIG stink.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I suggest changing to a better quality of food. Meow Mix and Friskies = very smelly poop! Although you have not had trouble before, your cat may have a unique reaction to the food. Regardless of whether you feel the change in diet will change the smell, it will be better for kitty's overall health!
Maybe some people can make some food suggestions. Here of some I can think of off the top of my head:
Wellness, Natural Balance, Felidae, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, Nutro Natural Choice, Solid Gold...
-unfortunately, you won't find these foods at the grocery store. You have to do some serious looking in order to find them :wink: .

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
The problem has to be a bad digestive system or an intolerance to the food. If he has no other symptoms, try another brand, changing gradually, until you find one that he can digest well and doesn't cause as disagreeable odor.

If you can't correct the problem that way, or if he shows other symptoms, take him to the vet. Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah try another brand of cat food. My cat's poop was almost odorless before when I gave him Purina brand cat food. Then I tried costco and it started to smell. Then I switched to IAM which was one of the most expensive ones and it smells terrible.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I was just gonna say as i saw iams that iams=super smelly poopy
and that is from personal experince. My cats litter trays use to absolutly stink, i changed to jameswelbeloved and it was soo much better.

·
Registered
96 Posts
ive just got a new cat and have exactly the same problem!
we got it yesturday and fed it tind kitekat and what a wif! :oops:
so if someone wiv experience cud give me a list of odourless foods available at the supermarket (tind or dry) that wud be a big help
THNX

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
HELP #2 in box

catmadAZ - our Jimmy doesn't like Kit-e-Kat at all. And it does whiff a bit . It didn't make his poo smell though - but maybe that's cos he wouldn't eat it :twisted:
He likes Sainsbury's own variety ('Paws') - in pouches or the dry.
He also likes Felix - no smell problems with any of these.

seashell

·
Registered
96 Posts
cheerz again seashell! :D used to give my previous cat felix (seeing as tho she woz called felix :) ) an had no probz so might try that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts