Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will hold my hands up and say that I have let my night time routine slip with my 3 month old kitten, Cleo. When we first got her, we put her in the spare room at night but moved her to the living room after a few weeks so she could have more room to run around. Then, she started crying and I could hear it more in the living room. I started to worry about the neighbours being woken up at 3:30am but it seemed mean to put her back in the small spare room, so I started giving her the run of the place, where she would mainly sleep on the bed (near my head.) We are finding this is not brilliant for us either as she is pretty wriggly and will keep us awake purring and she likes to bite my face to wake me up (not in a vicious way at all but enough to shock me awake!) iI is lovely having her in the bed but it's definitely not a full night's sleep anymore.

I know this is my fault, not Cleo's. She is a perfect kitten and I am torn between letting her in with us because she is a still a baby and wants to be with her mummy, and being firm with her at night by putting her in a room alone. Can anyone offer some advice? I have been unfair on her by changing the goal posts so to speak, so I am now looking to get her back in to a proper routine and one that we will stick to.

FYI, I will stipulate that she is played with and fed before bedtime, has access to litter, water, food, toys, an old Tshirt of mine, a bed, we put a light and radio on for her at night time, a feliway diffuser in the room. I did do my research to try and do things right for her but I know she hates being separated at night because she loves us so much. Would it bet better for her to be alone and cry it out at night or should I allow her to have the run of our place and possibly disrupt our sleep? Will she grow out of crying at night when left alone?

Any advice or personal experiences about night tome routines would be appreciated. I love her to absolute bits so want what's best to keep my little one happy!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Since her current night time routine seems to be in turmoil I would bring her in with you and see how that goes although I can pretty much predict it: You are not going to sleep. 3 months is still VERY young and kittens don't sleep through the night - which is why you hear her in the LR. She wants company. You will not sleep well until she is an adult - sorry but that is life with kittens. Only 2 years to go!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply! You're right, I anticipate her being very much a baby in her behaviour. The cat I had years ago was VERY independent, even from the age of a kitten. He would often seek a quiet place to sleep and loved being on his own so this one is going to need a whole different approach!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Any chance of getting a 2nd kitten? I only wanted to adopt one kitten originally and my husband, daughter and suggestions from this board had me reconsider. A couple days before we planned to get our one kitten, I agreed to get a litter mate as well. So far, I am glad that we did. It is a bit more expensive and more stuff to clean from the litter box, but the fact that they entertain themselves is priceless. From day one when they came to our house, I was prepared for them to hide and be scared...they just played with each other and in no time were interested in us as well. They have always been shut-in at night with my young daughter around 9 pm and let out around 7 am. They have access to the litter box in her room and water. They are given a serving of dry food shortly before bed. One was sick for a few days and we kept the sick one in my daughter's room and we took the well one in our room. The sick one was too lethargic to cause any issues, but the other one (5 months) was all over the place, pouncing on my leg, trying to groom my hair, etc. I was glad when they were back together again. We got them around 11 weeks and they are about 6 1/2 months now. They don't seem to bother my daughter at night. At this age your kitten would probably adjust to another one easily, but I don't have experience with that. It is a big commitment to consider. Just an idea :) oh, and they still are interested in us too...

·
Registered
719 Posts
I agree with Marcia - there will definitely be more sleepless nights involved, but I wouldn't necessarily agree that it's going to take two years before Cleo's nighttime habits become more manageable. Or, I suppose this could be the case if Cleo's a lone kitty, since all her attention will be focused towards her human caretakers ;)

Having a companion to play with could certainly help, so they can keep each other busy. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your kind and helpful replies. We have discussed getting a second kitten but we aren't too sure at the moment as we will be moving house fairly soon and don't want to bite off more than we can chew. My partner also isn't massively keen on the idea so would need persuading! I have read many people saying two kittens is a good way to help with separation anxiety but its also got to be right for us too. I will consider it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Killer slept on my chest or cradled in my arms most every night when she was little. To this day she'll cradle the same way or find her way under the minkie and curl up on my chest at night. I miss her when it's hot outside cuz she wont crawl in.

Love her time as a baby who needs her comfort..it probably wont last long

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Resty that makes me feel better- Cleo wants to be with us all the time! She won't sleep by my feet, she needs to be near my face, basically next to my pillow!

·
Registered
697 Posts
My kitten used to play with my feet, jump on my bladder and attack the other ones so there was a lot of screaming at night for a while. It lasted for about 6 months then feet became less interesting. I also make sure to tire him out with the DA BIRD before bedtime. He sleeps like a baby...until the alarm goes off, then its breakfast time!

Eta: adding another just means more to Chase at night and more reasons to dart across your face, not that you'll get more sleep...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Our little guy is getting close to 5 months now and we've had a consistent routine right from day 1. He doesn't get in the bedroom at night. For the first couple weeks he would cry outside the bedroom door for a few minutes each night, but now he just watches us go toward the bedroom and doesn't fuss at all. Once we wake up in the morning and start talking, he will come to the door and talk to us. He's figured out the routine and settled into it nicely. I think consistency is the key.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We were going to let Sheldon sleep in the bed with us, but as soon as I got under the blankets she started attacking my feet with claws and teeth, soooo we quickly reconsidered. Now her bed is in the bathroom- the first few weeks she would fuss a whole lot but now she only utters one or two little miaows before she settles down. It helps when my hubby and I are quiet and still, Shelly realizes she isn't missing anything by not being in the room with us.

I hope when she's older we can try again, but if it just doesn't work, I'm all right with that- this system is working well for us. The only thing I wish we could change is her internal alarm clock- she gets fed at 8 AM every morning, so she starts fussing at us for breakfasrt at 7 AM. :p I'm getting pretty good at sleeping through it.

Anyway whatever you choose, definitely be consistent about it. Cats are pretty accepting of routine, even if they have their reservations about the change at first.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I would suggest a playmate too. At 3 months, they're usually very open to other kittens. I've always had pairs (or fours or sixes :) ) of foster kittens and they seem to do well. I just try to keep a routine and put them in their room every night at the same time, feed them, pet and brush them, and lights out. Just like kids, they need a routine. I could always here them running around for a while afterwards playing, but they eventually settled. I don't let my foster kittens in my bedroom because one of my older cats is very territorial and my bed is his domain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Again, thanks to all for their replies. It is such a helpful forum!

At the moment, we are keeping her in with us- she has definitely settled and barely makes a peep at night. We are, however, moving this week from a flat to a house, so once we have settled in to the new place, we may reconsider what's best at night without the constant worry that she may wake the neighbours. That's what has been our main issue at the moment but the new house may been an opportunity to implement change.

I really do value your help folks- I don't think we want to get another cat, we will be looking to get a puppy within a year or so because my partner is desperate for one and don't want to have three pets. But your suggestions are very much appreciated :)

And just for good measure, here is a pic of the little beauty in question trying to prevent me from working!
ImageUploadedByPG Free1379350621.471582.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.