Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently got a new kitten. I have 2 adult cats already and one of them is not responding well at all. She hasn’t eaten in over 24 hours is severely depressed. I spent the night with her last night and she was throwing up bile all night, probably about 6 or more times. We keep the cats separate from the kitten and do small introductions throughout the day. Yesterday my wife went somewhere so I had to stay in the room with the kitten (Lilith) for a couple hours. My female cat (Winry) has been especially depressed since then and that is when the vomiting started. Winry is my best friend and it kills me to see this. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work better for the introductions? I got Winry to eat a little oat milk but probably not even an ounce. I have tried all of her favorite foods and nothing works. She also is not using the litter box or peeing or pooping at all. She is absolutely terrified of the vet so I really want to avoid that if possible. I worry that bringing her home after a traumatic experience to a home that is no longer her safe place will make things worse. She and I have been through a lot together so she definitely gets jealous when I give attention to another cat (or anything really). I am so grateful for any help, I love Winry so much and I feel so terrible that she is feeling this way.
Thank you

·
Registered
133 Posts
First, take Winry to the vet to make sure this is not a medical issue. this is important even if she is afraid because you don't want to let a medical problem go untreated.

If she is tested and examined and is healthy, then you can start to work with her to feel more comfortable with the new cat. This is still very early in the process, so if that is the problem she may come around.

But please be aware that cats don't always learn to get along with the new cat(s) even if given lots of time and all the right introductions. sometimes it is just not a good match, and it won't work out. I don't mean to be pessimistic, just saying I have seen this happen.
We can help you with trying to help her feel better, though, if your cat gets a clean bill of health from the vet.

And also, please be aware that unlike a dog, a cat cannot go days without eating without it being likely to turn into a serious health issue. So if she continues not to eat at all, you need to change the situation and get her to eat even if it means the new cat has to leave.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm so sorry. This sounds like it may be something beyond the introduction of the new kitten. Every situation is different, but we've adopted multiple cats over the years and I've never experienced one actually becoming sick after a new one has been brought into the house. I agree with Mosi that you should take her to the vet, regardless of how much she hates it.

Hopefully there are no health issues. I'm a Cat Dad too and I know how strong the bond is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you @Mosi and @dseag2. I will be bringing both cats to the vet today. I got winry to eat some chicken but still no cat food. The male cat Spirit is also now not eating. Their personalities are starting to return which is amazing but they are still not eating to the point of becoming sick and I think only Winry has used the bathroom maybe once too. Lilith is still doing great and is as adorable as ever. Thank you for the advice and I hope the vet can help everyone get along and go back to their normal happy selves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts