Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is long, so I will make it as short as possible. If there are any questions/you want a further explanation I will be more than happy to provide.
Mico-5-6yrs old, short-haired tabby, adopted 16th of Oct this year
Eating normally, drinking normally, and very social to me and my husband at night only. During the day hides under the bed, and will not come out for anything. At night he meows constantly. He will go into every single room and just meow, and then come up to us and meow.
He normally goes the bathroom in the liter box, but about 5 times he has not(this has been at night and during the day). He has peed 2x on the bathroom rug, and has pooped 2x on the bathroom rug, and 1x in our spare bedroom. The last time I noticed some blood in the stool, it was mostly dark, but a little red(thought maybe the blood had dried a little-this was at night so it was noticed till morning).
His liter box is cleaned daily, is regular liter box, but a bit on the larger size(what vet recommended), and is about 2in full of liter. He has the same litter brand he has had since getting here, and a little of the litter from the shelter). The liter box was in our kitchen, but has been moved to the bathroom. When we first got him, wanted him to know where to go-bathroom was too small to confine him so we went with the kitchen(its small, but large enough for food,water and liter box to fit in; w/o close proximity, not too high of traffic, and was in a private place) The only other options we had where our bedroom, the bathroom, or the living room.
The food is what the vet and shelter recommended; Iams indoor, dry not moist. He is up to date on all anti-fleas/parasites. He has ear mites, but is being treated.
Is it possible that he is still not adjusted to us? Or could he be sick and need to be taken to the vets?
TL;DR-Mico 5-6yrs old, 1mth adopted, hides all day, meows all night, doesnt use liter all the time, blood in stool-> is he sick? or just adjusting?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
If nothing else, blood in the stool sounds like a genuine medical condition requiring a Vet's attention.

The hiding and meowing may be adjusting and maybe it would help to keep the cat away from places it can hide all the time for some time during the day, a gentle push to socialize with you of sorts. I am not proposing for you to corner the cat, but maybe isolate it in a large area like your livingroom and hang out there with the cat until it begins to feel comfortable with you in the room....don't force it, but do this for a few hours a day to try to coax the cat out of its shell.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, bloody stool needs to be seen by a vet. It's likely that once whatever's ailing him is gone, he'll return to acting "normal."

·
Banned
470 Posts
One month should be enough time to adjust, so I'd do the vet visit. If he's hiding though, I would perhaps decrease his territory or at least give him a safe room he can retreat to that is low to no traffic.

I'd check all his toys and do a look through the house and see if he might have ingested something though. Palpating his tummy and looking for signs of pain short of an xray might help too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured that since there was blood in the stool, that I should make an apt. Yet I was also told that if he had a parasite infection that could also cause bloody stool(he was a street cat, so that is an option). He was on anti parsites, but for some reason they were giving him kitten formula(? no idea why, the vet called the shelters vet and they still dont know). The vet gave me a stronger dose(for adult cats) and we gave him the first pill a few days ago. My husband thinks I'm overreacting, and I tend to, so just wanted some outside perspective.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
The fact that he's hiding either means he doesn't feel good or that he's feeling stressed. Since he comes out at night, it sounds more like stress than illness. Do you have kids? If yes, that might be the reason he hides during the day. Stress can lead to colitis, which could cause the blood in the stool.

I do think he needs a vet visit just to make sure everything is fine. I would recommend a change to a better diet. If I were handing out letter grades, Iams would get a C.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Hi, lizbeezo, and welcome to CF! Congratulations on your new family member. :love2

You've received some good info already. I'd like to add a couple of additional thoughts.

One, your kitty is likely avoiding the litter box because he's stressed, he doesn't like the new litter, or he's sick. My first step would be a vet visit to rule out a UTI or any other illness/parasite/etc.

My second step would be to isolate him to a single room for a while. If he's stressed, the isolation will help. In addition, he'll be in closer proximity to his box and more likely to use it (basically, this retrains him to the litter box). Third, I'd use nothing but the same litter the shelter used for a while and then very slowly start changing it out for your preferred litter.

Finally, you'll need to clean the spots he's soiled with an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle, if you haven't already done so. Otherwise, your kitty will be able to detect the scent (even if you can't) and will return to the same spots.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out!

AC

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
If it's a one-time thing, blood in the stool is nothing to worry about. However, that combined with the litter box issues suggests a vet visit is in order. Also, have you considered getting two litter boxes? Some cats don't like to pee and poop in the same box.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off thanks for all the advice!!!!
He normally goes in the liter box, its just every now and then he refuses(normally during the day, but there have been a few times at night). I'm not sure if he doesn't like the brand, its the clumping kind, compared to the large pebble kind at the shelter. At first I had it mixed about 3/4 large to 1/4 clump. Right now its about 3/4 clump and 1/4 large pebbles. I guess I could go back to the large pebbles for a while longer.
It may very well be stress. As I have not noticed the blood any of the other 3 times, just that one time. Our apt is in a large building, with thin walls. You can basically hear everything our three neighbors do, as well as the people upstairs. We are also right next to the elevator, so you can hear whenever it goes by, so maybe all these unseen noises is startling him. I will call the vets monday, but do not know when they will fit me in. I just want to make sure it is nothing.

Susan- I have considered that, but then when I found the blood, thought maybe it might be something medical. Want to be sure its not before I invest in the other box right away.

Auntie Crazy-When I first got him, I had him isolated in the kitchen. I know this might now be the best place, as it is semi-high traffic, but it was the only choice really. We live in an apt, and there is only the living room, bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen. The bathroom I thought would have been too small, as it is only about 1.5mX2m, with toilet, tub, sink, and bidet. Where as the kitchen is about 1.5mX3.5m with a door that can close. He was in the kitchen for a while, and around 2 weeks, he decided to come out. He ran to our bedroom at night, and just stayed there, under the bed. I have cleaned all the spots with lemon juice and water, then vinegar and water just to be sure. I also clean the house about 1-2x per week. I have looked for safe pet stain removers, but have only found cheap kinds, that contain ammonia(I've heard this is bad and not to use it).

Doodlebug-I have no children, and no other pets.

Ducman69-I have looked over the toys, and what not. Nothing seems out of ordinary.

Dweamgoil- I am trying to isolate him in the living room with us. He is free to go to the kitchen whenever he wants, but he mostly just hangs out on the couch with us. He is still really nervous and skidish(sp?). We have pillows on the couch and he is constantly hiding behind them. He does come out from time to time, but the second anything happens(someone walking into another room, toilet flushing, phone ringing ect) he freaks and runs either to me, or under a pillow.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Did you get him from a shelter? Whoever you adopted him from, you might ask if he was skittish with them, afraid of noises, movement of people, etc. It's possible that's just his nature, some cats are like that even tho home raised, some learn it if they were born feral. With time he may get used to the noises. My boy used to bolt out of the kitten every time the microwave beeped or stove timer went off. I can drop a pot on the floor and he doesn't flinch now. He's almost 6 y.o. now but it took him a few months before he stopped reacting to the beeps. But still he doesn't like the doorbell and will run and hide in a bedroom. Hope he's not quite so skittish with time. All the best.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
catloverami-I did get him from a shelter. He didnt seem so bad there, they said they found him on the street, but you can tell he was someone pet; he loves to have his belly rubbed, takes medicine with ease, lets me clean his ears w/o fighting etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Talked to the vet today, called to make and apt, and they asked what the problem was. I told them everything, and they said its possible he just had a parasite, and since I as giving him his treatment, it was nothing to worry about quite yet. He told me to give him a second treatment just in case, and if there is still blood then to bring him in immediately. I'm suppose to give him his second treatment the 20th, so we will see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts