Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ok so on Tuesday I had to take Archie in for a vet visit. My normally super long lasting boy suddenly started open mouth panting after a few lazy gos at fetch ( and I do mean lazy, mama was tired so it wasnt fast paced or far tossed) Then I noticed he was wheezing a bit. Tuesday morning I picked him up for his morning cuddle, belly up for raspberries as usual, and he actually cried for me to put him down which he never does. That was it for me, straight to the vet because thats not normal Archibald. I was thinking it could be one of a few things. 1. I had just gotten Kieran, who had come from a shelter and could have brought a bug. 2. The day after getting Kieran we had to have the entire upstairs ac replaced. Kitties were kept safely in rooms but that still kicked up a lot of dust. 3. Archie could have been stressed by Kieran. I found it odd how much more aggressive he was about Kieran than he normally is with other cats but I chalked it up to stress and the fact that Kieran has not been neutered yet.

My normal vet wasnt in, but ive always had good experiences with the whole team at my clinic so we saw someone else. After a vitals check and a symptoms check they took him to get weighed and temped. The vet came back with him and immediately began talking to me like he was trying to break bad news. Basically he told me we could treat symptoms because of the above mentioned factors but if he was not better in a few days that he needed to be tested for heart worms?!!?8-O8-O8-O8-O8-O8-O *insert panic* Whaaaaaatttttt????? They only ever go outside if someone escapes the sliding glass door in my 3rd floor apartment onto a balcony. And they are always promptly returned.

Basically the vet scared the bejeebus out of me. Archie seems better. Back to cuddling, and fetching, has even begun play wrestling with Kieran ( probably only half play, but theres never any vocalizations, crying, hissing or spitting. Just slowmo rolling around or the occasional chase). But now I cant get the thought out of my head. Is this possible? How would I know? What should I watch for? What happens if a cat has heart worms? In put would be greatly appreciated. If anything happened to one of them I dont know what I would do. I honestly cannot even find the words to describe what that would do to me.

For reference, Archie is almost 11 mos. a bit over 10lbs, fully vetted, and indoor only.

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
I'm so sorry you're going through this. What did he base his suspicions on?? I would bring him back to your regular vet for a "re-check" (hopefully that only costs a little).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He was sounded congested/wheezy and had panted after a round of play ( I only saw him do this once). Other than that the only signs were not eating as much and being grumpy. I had thought that the food thing was just because it didnt seem appetizing because he couldnt smell it. As for grumpy, who isnt grumpy when they dont feel well?

They gave him a prednisone shot and an antibiotic, and I havent seen any more panting, he is back to eating like a little piglet, and playing and I listen often for wheezing or congestion and havent heard any. But I am still basically scared because of the way the vet acted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a PS- I dont care what it costs, if i can find ANY way I will pay for it. These cats are my babies ( literally, Ill never be able to have children) and I will do anything possible for them.

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
He sounds back to normal, but if you're really worried, I would start with a phone call to your regular vet. The other one may have needlessly scared the crap out of you.

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
Oh, I meant when she returns. I understand how you feel about your babies, I'm the same way, I think most of us are.

I don't know anything about heart worms, but we have some pretty knowledgable members who will hopefully post when they log on. It's hard not to freak out once something like that has been planted in your brain. Whatever you do, try to stay away from Google, it's not your friend at times like this. :shock:

·
Registered
35 Posts
You should at least talk to the Normal vet about the other one, when we had our old cat aramus he had to get regular check ups, frm old age and a new vet took him one day and told us he didn't have long and that he recomended sleepy time.
He ended up living for another 3 years... My mum went thought the vet like a torpedo and our original vet had a chat to him. Apparently he just thought its best for any old cat to be put to sleep for pretty much nothing...

At least the other et could put him on the straight and narrow..

·
Registered
761 Posts
A mosquito can get into the house and bite your cat. If you live in an area where heartworm is prevalent the chances are higher that he might get them.

According to this article from the American Heartworm society it takes 8 months after being bitten by an infected mosquito for the cat to have mature heartworms

American Heartworm Society | Feline Heartworm

This article also states that many cats throw the infection off on their own.

I hope Archie is okay, good job taking him right to the vet.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
I'm sorry...but I'm going to freak you out even further. Given your screen name I assume that Archie is a Maine ****. Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM) is a heart disease that runs in Maine **** lines and typically affects cats under age 5. If you are not aware of HCM and did not screen for it when selecting a breeder, it's a real possibility.

The symptoms you mention are part of the longer list of HCM symptoms, cats don't always exhibit all of them...especially in early stages. I would recommend that you discuss this with your vet and potentially make an appointment with a cardiologist.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm sorry...but I'm going to freak you out even further. Given your screen name I assume that Archie is a Maine ****. Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM) is a heart disease that runs in Maine **** lines and typically affects cats under age 5. If you are not aware of HCM and did not screen for it when selecting a breeder, it's a real possibility.

The symptoms you mention are part of the longer list of HCM symptoms, cats don't always exhibit all of them...especially in early stages. I would recommend that you discuss this with your vet and potentially make an appointment with a cardiologist.
I strongly second this. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I will third what Doodlebug said. If Archie is a Maine ****, you really should have him evaluated by a veterinary cardiologist to check for HCM. The cardiologist will most likely recommend a cardiac ultrasound to make this determination.

Laurie

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info guys! Archie is a miscellaneous mix, but the first time his regular vet met him she felt like he had maine **** in him. So I will definitely ask her about that too. Winston is the actual purebred, his adoption packet included past vet records and cfa records from his previous owner. So I will have to look into this for him too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts