Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice here.
I have the chance of getting a kitten from a stray but don't know what to do. I would LOVE another fur baby but worried it's not fair on Cleveland. I've been reading various threads about introducing new cats and everything else but I'm scared he'll hate the kitten and so on so forth. Would it be better to get a little girl kitten? Eyes meet across a crowded play tunnel perhaps! I know I want another cat but I just don't know if Cleveland will. I would love him to have a playmate but I know it might not work like that. I'm trying to decide if the kitten is purely for my benefit or for Clevelands too.
My head hurts!!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Misty, the two I have now are the first two to grow up together. They are only a few weeks apart in age, so they cuddle together. The rest of my cats were introduced as kittens to older cats. I had only one problem in all of these years. The stray was about 6 months old --and pregnant, we found out later, and tried to bully all of the cats. It worked on one, and that one finally put her in her place.

Don't deny yourself! Just take your time with the introduction. :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I don't see why you shouldn't give it a try. IME, most cats aren't too bad if they have enough time and space to adjust to each other at their own pace...well, except for MY cat (Queen Assumpta the Unbelievably Neurotic :roll: :roll: :roll: ). I have cats at the shelter that I'd swear up and down needed to be "only" cats, and they're existing in condos with three or four other cats (no, it's not ideal, but they're still living with others just fine).

Can you go and rub the kitten with a towel and see how Cleveland reacts to the smell of another cat? It might give you some idea of how he'll react in general.

I did this myself recently to see if Assumpta was still as violently opposed to cats as she was when we got her...she went nuts, hissing and spitting and biting the towel so that I had a hard time getting it away from her (I've heard from a neighbor that she was on the losing end of a nasty fight with four or five of his barn cats when she was a stray, so I think that has a lot to do with it). I was immensely bummed out, as I was hoping to bring home one of my favorite geriatric shelter kitties who really needs a nice quiet home for whatever time she has left and loves other cats, very sweet and passive...but we decided that it would stress both cats out too much :( After the dog experience, I am leery of trying to introduce another animal into the house, no matter how slowly and carefully (hmm...I wonder if Assumpta would object to fish?? :roll: )

·
Registered
205 Posts
I really debated getting a second cat too, because I was worried about Malcolm.

We have had Ophelia since friday and they are doing so awesome!!!

She sleeps in the bathroom since she is too rowdy at night right now!!
But they spend about half of their day together. I have her in the bedroom for about half of the day so that we can open up our balcony door as it is super hot. And we can't have it open if she is out. Our condo is on the third floor.

Both kitties seem to be doing good with this arrangment. Today they have started playing with each other!!!! Yeah!!!

Cleveland may be more accepting of a kitten vs an adult. As for the sex I don't know. Some say opposite sex some say same sex works better.

I am not working right now so I am able to be home all day right now, and that means they can get lots of supervised time together.

I would have taken it more slowy with introducing them but hubby is a suck and didn't like to hear her cry!

SO! I think if done right it will work! And maybe Cleveland would enjoy a new friend!!

Our very laid back Malcolm has definitely besome more playful over the past few days!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I thought intros were going to be horrible!! But honestly they completely love one another.. Tierney was a little less then a year old (and very much the king of this apartment) when we brought Teagan home who was 7 weeks. They are always cuddling and loving each other, i couldn't ask for better cats.. If you want any tips or want thier full story PM me. I wont bore the rest of the gang with it again!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I did this myself recently to see if Assumpta was still as violently opposed to cats as she was when we got her...she went nuts, hissing and spitting and biting the towel so that I had a hard time getting it away from her
8O Oh my!!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'll try the towel thing when the klittens are born :oops: Getting a litle ahead of myself here I know but I sooo want another kitty to love.

Ta3339 - if its ok I'll PM you nearer the time to get the full story :D
Thanks everyone for helping

1 - 8 of 8 Posts