Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! i’m new to this forum and I came here mostly because I really need someone to help me with this issue, as I haven’t been able to find anyone with the same problem and this entire thing is incredibly serious :(

Basically, this is our cat, Chihiro:

Chihiro is a 1 & a half year old Turkish Angora, which we got when she was barely 2 months old!!
Up to this spring, Chihiro was completely perfect in terms of her behavior; just a playful kitty who was incredibly affectionate and simply full of quirks and love <3

( Chihiro is an exclusively indoor kitty, as we live in an apartment and in a town where leaving your cat out is incredibly dangerous and not advised )

So, what went wrong? well, as I mentioned, ever since (around) March, she started having a few days every month where she would rub herself against the floor and start crying all day to be petted. This behavior lasted 2 days MAX and happened MAYBE once a month.
We looked up the behavior, and we found out that it meant sexual maturity and that cats who don’t get spayed have the same issues;

but the thing is, as the months passed all this crying slowly but surely kept getting worse and even more common.
To get the idea, Chihiro now spends 3-4 days like her regular self and the other 3-4 days meowing like crazy, rolling around and just looking really confused with herself!

I know this whole behavior has to do with her not being spayed (which we are planning on doing soon) but, not a single female cat owner we asked has said that they faced a problem similar to ours with their cats:
their cats would meow and rub themselves and it was annoying for them, but that would only happen once every couple of months. our cat now does it atleast once a week, and it lasts for 3 days if we’re lucky.

As you can tell, this entire behavior has become so so unbearable to us and we don’t have a clue what to do, will spaying her even help?

Now, here comes the last problem which started occurring during February-March of this year:

Chihiro uses her litter box to poop, but she’s discovered her own litter boxes for her peeing around the house, wether that is all our rugs, our towels, our blankets or our couch.
obviously, it wasn’t that bad in the beginning, but just like the previous behavior, it kept getting worse and worse and now all she does is pee anywhere but in her litter box.
Even if i catch her in the act of peeing in a rug and rush her to her litter box, she still will refuse to pee in there and she’ll just jump off; she’s made her litter box exclusively for pooping now.

We don’t know why she does this and we don’t know how to solve it either. Does this also have to do with her needing to be spayed, or is it something completely different? am I once again the only person with this issue?

We just want our old Chihiro back, and everyday she just gets worse and we can’t handle it anymore. We need a solution/tips/ideas ASAP

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,625 Posts
She most likely has a UTI (urinary tract infection). Cats associate the pain of peeing with the litter box and will do anything to avoid peeing there. They usually seek out soft surfaces, like your rugs, towels, etc. She needs to be seen by a vet to confirm, but it's an easy fix - medication. And yes, she does need to be spayed. So please don't be mad at this sweet little cat, it's just instinct that's steering her away from her litter box.

Reactions: jking and mdn

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would say the peeing problem to me sounds exactly like she either has a UTI or she is getting stones and they are causing her severe pain when she pees. They associate the liter box with the pain and won’t go there. You need to get that poor baby to a vet ASAP as it sounds like she is suffering in pain and crying out to you for help. Cat are very stoic animals and rarely show pain when they have it and anytime there is a major change in behavior like that it typically means their pain has gotten to the point where it is really bad enough for them to show it. You also need to get her spade regardless if that has anything to do with her behavior. Sometimes behaviors can turn into routine. Let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
All the behaviors you describe is an unspayed female cat in heat, and yes they can come back into heat after even a couple weeks. Nothing will "fix" this behavior except to have her spayed, and I suggest you have it done ASAP. To have a female coming into and out of heat without getting pregnant can lead to some serious internal consequences that will be more expensive than getting her spayed! Also, suggest you get some urine cleaner and clean all the spots where she may have urinated while she's being spayed. If you have only one litter pan, get at least 2 more and put them in other quiet low-traffic place. This will encourage her to urinate in them, especially if you use some Cat Attract spray (Amazon) on top of the litter. Please put your cat out of the misery of these constant heats. All the best!.

Here's a link: Estrous Cycles in Cats

1 - 4 of 4 Posts