Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my cat broke out if the house. She was gone all night. It rained so she was not happy this morning when she reappeared. She ran in and are and acted fine. After work today she was acting lathargic, she felt warm, and when I touched her she acted like she was in pain. I rushed her to the vet in a panic, at the vet she acted fine. He determined age was not hurt but she does have a fever. He said sometimes cats get fevers from unknown origins. Now she is home and hiding and clearly fdoesn't feewell. The vet have her her fluids. My question is has anyone had a cat get a fever from stress or do you think she is sick. my vet just said lets wait and see. They took a urine sample so they will call tomorrow with urine analysis and we will follow up with blood work if fever persists.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Last night my cat broke out if the house. She was gone all night. It rained so she was not happy this morning when she reappeared. She ran in and are and acted fine. After work today she was acting lathargic, she felt warm, and when I touched her she acted like she was in pain. I rushed her to the vet in a panic, at the vet she acted fine. He determined age was not hurt but she does have a fever. He said sometimes cats get fevers from unknown origins. Now she is home and hiding and clearly fdoesn't feewell. The vet have her her fluids. My question is has anyone had a cat get a fever from stress or do you think she is sick. my vet just said lets wait and see. They took a urine sample so they will call tomorrow with urine analysis and we will follow up with blood work if fever persists.
When one of my cats runs a fever, I put the cat on a wet (wrung out but still pretty wet), cool towel in a cat carrier and leave them in it for an hour. The wet towel will absorb heat from the cat's body and help reduce fever. I also administer fluids, which your vet already did today. If your cat is still running a fever tomorrow, ask your vet about possibly giving a very low dose of baby aspirin , but DO NOT administer any aspirin without your vet's specific instruction.

The fevers that pop up in my household on occasion usually disappear as quickly as they came. Hopefully that will hold true in your cat's case, as well.

Laurie

·
Registered
49 Posts
One of my fosters became lethargic a day or two after I brought her home. Quit playing and literally did nothing but lay on the couch and look pitiful. Her only symptom was a fever. She was put on antibiotics and was feeling better within a couple days, completely back to normal in about a week. My other two never caught anything so it very well may have been the stress that messed with her system.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Sorry for the horrible spelling I logged in from my phone. Her fever thankfully went away and her urine analysis came back clean.

Now however a white smelly stuff is coming out of her butt. I am thinking clogged anal glands?? Uggg this kitty is driving me mad. When I picked her up it came off on my shirt and it smells putrid. Any tips to avoid the vet or will I be spending more money on Ms. Mia

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clogged Anal Gland??

Long story short my cat broke out of the house the other night and was out all night in the rain. She was very unhappy when she came home. Acted fine when she first returned that morning after work she acted injured like she was in pain when I picked her up, wouldn't eat, was hiding took her to the vet only issue was a fever. Fever broke appitite is fine still acting a little cranky when you pick her up but she is back to her normal shianagins around the house...

Today I picked her up and this smelly white stuff came out of her butt and went on her and my shirt. Not a huge amount but enough that I was like eww you smell then I saw my shirt.

Is this a clogged or leaking anal gland?? Should I go off to the vet tomorrow or can I apply a warm compress and help unclog the glands??

If I can avoid another $200 vet bill I would like to but I dont want her to have an infection or get really sick.:fust

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is 100% an analgland problem I just looked at her little butt and its red and ozzy on the one gland opening. Gross! Def taking her to the vet tomorrow ugggg!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts