Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 cats both under a year old . the one im having the problem with is about 9 months she'll only use the litter box sometimes, most of the time not though.. shes use it anywhere she wants in the kitchen , laundry room , bathroom any where she wants! everytime shes done this ive taken her down to her litter box and its cleaned once a day! im getting very discouraged and so is everyone else in the house! Does anyone know what i can do?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
the first thing you should do is get her to the vet to make sure that there is not an underlying medical problem - urinary tract infections and crystals in the urine are frequent causes of this behavior.

The cat associates the pain from the infection with being in the litter box, and so seeks other places to urinate in hopes of avoiding the pain.

Something as simple as antibiotics could remedy the problem.

Also check out this link:
http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11535

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not justs urination though. i did however take her to the vet and they had checked for infection and found nothing.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Well, since her health checks out, maybe it's something to do with the litter or the box. Or possibly the location of the box.

Try adding a 2nd litter box for her also. Some cats like to pee in one and defecate in the other.

What type and brand of litter are you using? Are you using an open or covered box?

Also, make sure to clean any soiled spots with an enzyme-based cleaner such as Nature's Miracle. You need such a product to completely remove the smell and discourage her from returning to the same spots.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I second what has already been said.

If you have 2 cats you should have more than one box.

If this started after you moved the box, that is most likely your problem.

Have you recently changed the litter type?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the problem all started right after i moved. i had her for a couple months and then left my now ex and had just got her back in september. she wasnt in my care a whole month and i wasnt able to take her with me at the time i had moved. she had no issues with using it before and she had shared with another cat. however when i did get her back i was told she wasnt using the litter box at all. thats when the problems started.

its a covered litter box as shes always had, same with the brand of litter its never been changed.... i did see her use it today tho a couple times... so im still not sure whats going on with her.. :? and i didnt find any messes anywhere and i searched the house..

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
It could be a behavioral issue. She may not adapt well to change. Since it happened after she was moved.

I think there may be a sticky somewhere about this...not sure.

I would try containing her in a room (like the bathroom) with her litter box, water, food, exct. The hope is she will use the box while contained and can be reintroduced to having run of the house.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
I would try confining her to a room with her litterbox and food for a couple days to see what's happening under those circumstances. You can also try Cat Attract litter. You also may want to try taking the cover off the box. Maybe as she's grown, the box feels confining to her. Maybe she was ambushed by the other cat she was living with.

Also it sounds like the other cat she was living with is not the same 2nd cat you have now...is that correct? If so, when was the new cat introduced? Was a formal introduction done?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts