Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have three cats, Sambo is the newest, then Mr. Pink, and Simba was the first to live in this house. Sambo and Mr. Pink are perfectly behaved.. with the exception of the occasional hairball.

Simba is the problem. He's a great big fat orange male my boyfriends father found born under his house about 8 years ago, practically feral when it was brought inside. He's tame now and very sweet.. but he's driving me CRAZY.

He's been fixed for *years*, he's always lived with other cats and dogs, but he sprays all over EVERYTHING. When just spraying it isn't enough he sits and pees on things. I *think* he might be doing it in response to stray cats that pass through our yard, but there's nothing I can do about them except get a dog that doesn't like cats... thats what most other people around this block have done, but obviously a dog that would chase cats isn't an option.. since I have cats, and a very small yard as well.

I've tried everything.. products to keep him away, products to kill his scent, vinegar, febreeze, following him around with a water sprayer and spritzing him when he does it. The only thing thats worked is keeping a big container of vinegar where he wants to do it.. but then he just does it somewhere else, and I can't fill my house with vinegar!

He's totally destroyed a suitcase that was in one of my closets, and I'm going to have to replace all the carpet upstairs.. it's totally destroyed.. even 3 steam cleanings couldn't help it.

Is there *anything* else I can do? Would it help if I took him out of the house for a while and cleaned it so when he came back it didn't smell like him, or would he just spray more? Also, Sambo is a much younger cat who's never lived with other cats.. but he's never caused problems trying to establish dominance and he's never sprayed, could his being declawed before we got him have made him less dominant? I would hate to have to do that to a cat.. I've never supported it.. but when it comes down to doing something about this cat or having my entire house destroyed (already hundreds to replace carpet), I'll take any ideas I can get.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I am so sorry about what you are going through.
Some male cats will continue spraying even after they are nuetered.
If he was an older Tom cat by the time he was nuetered, then it is
very possile that this is a habit for him! Nuetering is about 80% effective
in putting an end to spraying behaviors.

I am unclear though....is he spraying or peeing on the carpeting?
If it is spary it will be on vertical surfaces about 6-8 inches off the floor.

If he is squatting and urinating on the carpet, he may need a urine
test to rule out a urinary tract infection. He could also simply not be litterbox trained.
How many litter boxes do you have available for your cats?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have two giant litterboxes that we clean pretty frequently, at *least* once a week, usually twice. He's never had a problem not using the litter box except for this.

He'll spray and then if he can't spray (sometimes he litterally sprays untill nothing comes out) he'll sit and pee.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Number one reason to not go in box: box too dirty.

Number two: urinary tract infection.

Keep the boxes spotless, and have Simba checked for a urinary tract infection. Other litterbox ideas can be found at:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library

Spraying is usually a territorial defense mechanism that requires behavior modification. It means the cat is upset and fearful over boundaries. Increasing vertical space (cat trees or shelves such as http://www.katwallks.com/), and using Feliway (the diffuser seems to work best) might help. Box placement and defense issues may be involved. There are many possible reasons, and many possible solutions, including Play Therapy to help him with confidence issues, and flower essences (www.spiritessence.com). But start by ruling out the most obvious ones!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts