Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for any advice you can give !

Smokey is about 6 years old and has lived with me since May 2018. He is FIV+ and has recurrent asthma, usually treated with steroids or, sometimes, antibiotics.

Last week of April 2020:
  • He had a course of antibiotics for a possible respiratory infection.
  • He vomited once and began having constipation (both very unusual for him).
First week May 2020:
  • Smokey has occasional episodes where he begins growling or hissing in pain.
  • I have observed him swatting and hissing towards his sides (left and right) or biting at the base of his tail.
First week June 2020:
  • Switched from unresponsive or overwhelmed veterinarian.
  • New vet expressed Smokey’s anal glands.
  • Full bloodwork mostly normal.
  • X-ray showed his bowels were backed up.
  • He gets a little generic miralax in his wet food at least every other day. He has returned to mostly daily bowel movements. Still the pain episodes continue.
Last week of June 2020:
  • Began probiotics in with his food. I use ProBios (which is for horses but is a gel that can be mixed with dry food and others say they’ve had luck with dogs) and DuMor Multi-Species powder mixed in his wet food.
First week July 2020:
  • The vet recommended famotidine (Pepcid) for the pain issues which seem to be GI-related. He will not take the ¼ pill dose in a pill pocket nor will he eat any food that it is crushed in. I have taken to dissolving the pill in water and giving him orally via a syringe.
  • Here on the 17th we are still having issues. Probiotics don't seem to help. Neither does the pepcid. He feels better after a bowel movement but he used to be very regular and now needs laxative. Eating, drinking, litter habits otherwise normal.
Has anyone ever gotten a pharmacy to compound flavored meds that a cat would like?

·
Super Moderator
26,542 Posts
Kaiser prepared liquid meds for Cinderella that were either tuna or chicken-flavored. I think most pharmacies do it, and it didn't even cost that much.

·
Super Moderator
26,542 Posts
I also bought some tuna packed with water and after filling the syringe with the medication, I filled the rest of it up with tuna juice. So when it got near her mouth, she could smell the tuna and it helped with giving her the meds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also bought some tuna packed with water and after filling the syringe with the medication, I filled the rest of it up with tuna juice. So when it got near her mouth, she could smell the tuna and it helped with giving her the meds.
Thanks I a going to try that while I see if the pharmacy can make something for me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts