Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
==>
I've been feeding a stray cat for 2 years now and want to take him to the vet to get "done" and to treat him for all fleas and injuries etc. He also has clumps of fur on his back and now a circle of hair missing on his head which bleeds in parts.
He is a lovley looking big male, very quiet and seems passive. He has gotten a bit used to me feeding him and will sniff my hand and has on occasion let me stroke him but he swats down still in fear. I have wanted to take him to my vets to get checked and Done before now but am worried he wont come back to feed and i feed him at least 4 times a day!
I am very worried about him and today tried to catch him with my own cat basket. I actually got him to eat some chicken ( his fav meat) from the back of the basket and i used a rope to shut the door so he would see me doing it. Unfortunately he pushed at the door and i wasn't quick enough to hold it shut and he got out.
He hasnt been back yet.
I could get a trap from the cat proection but i have got one of those before and he didn't go in it they also seem so harsh!
does anyone have any advice on how to get him causing him as less stress as possible?
I thought of get a sedative drug and but the vets do not advise this!
Help - He needs to get medical treatments for his wounds asap!!

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
awww poor baby!
how about contacting the RSPCA and lending a cat trap? they have food in the back of them and are triggered by the cat standing in it at the back end, then the door slams down on it. They might even set it up for you..... thats the only way i could think of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Zalensia
I must admit i didnt want touse the trap because it will terrify him when it shuts. I actually had a horrible dream last night where his head or tails was caught by the trap door! This is very difficult for me to cause fear to any animal but i have to keep telling meself its better than letting him suffer. I would like to have him in our home as my cat gets on with him. They touch noses etc. He has come in through the cat flap a few times but only when its quite ie at night.
Do you think he's a stray or Feral? he has never made any sound but he is around in the day and eve.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My trick to catch feral cats is.. start moving the food dish closer and closer to the house door, then move it inside the house with the door open. Then move it farther inside... Then shut the door.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
if he is stray, feral or even someone cat he obviously needs your help, and if someone saw you fixed him up and then said its thier cat they want it back i expect you would have a good case with the rspca that they havent been taking care of it.

My guess is that the cat isnt use to human contact at all, and to be honest anyway of catching him is going to scare him and strss him out a lot. I expect the rscpa traps are big enough that part of the cat wouldnt get caught in the door coming down. Trying to catch him by hand, ie coaxing him into your house may cause you more harm, when a cat panics it can cause a lot of harm to us, sometimes cats are fine, but you've alrdy said he ran last time you tried to catch him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hes back for his food and he does sence somethings up! . He seems more wiery. I must admit i am very nervous about catching him i hate causing him any fear esp if he wont come back for his food.

He has come in our cat flap at night before and may still when were asleep. I have fed him in the hall just by the door when its been raining badly so my next plan and advice here is to feed him all the time in the hall one day close the door keeping him in the house and try and get a seditive from the vet - he goes to sleep in the house - i take him to the vet. sounds easy but !!!!! Do you think a vet would let me have a seditive?

I would definately get him neutered and treated for everything. The cat protection legue will help with the costs but i will pay as much as i can to save them money.

I would like to give him a home with my cat who actually gets on with him(they rub noses etc). I dont know if he is a feral cat or a stray ie if he can be homed? I see him in the day and sometimes at night. He has never made a sound. How can ya tell the difference?

Thanks for all ya help. Will keep ya posted.
Tan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Operation Puddin Stage 2!

Thanks so much for all your support. Its very much appreciated.

Will try feeding him in the carrier without shutting the door for a few days. and if that doesn't work will resort to the trap.
it's just a shame he got out the 1st time in the carrier as he went straight in it no fear at all! :?

Ive put the carrier (which is quite a big one as i used to have 2 burmese boys and a moggie and they all used to fit in there!)
under my porch which is where he waits for his food.

The chicken and the iams are in the basket since this morning but he hasnt shown up all day yet! that a bit unsual! It has been raining and quite windy all today so i hope thats the reason!

I dont see him much at night so i hope he goes somewhere warm!
He must of been treated badly as he cowers down when i stroke him as if he hates it. Poor thing how can people treat animals that way.

I've also put out some posters to get some info on where he goes. ie if anyone else feeds him and where he goes at night.
Im Very sure noone owns him.

Its so sad to see him soaking wet or out in the cold tring to sleep on the pavement. I brought him an outside cat home which is basically like a big rabbit hutch but he rarely uses it!

I hope to catch him soon - Operation Puddin stage two has began!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Operation Puddin stage two continues!!!

Weve named him Puddin! Dont know why i just called him that one day and it stuck! Didn't know what else call a big strong but very cute boy!!! When i get him to the vets (adventually) i will say his names Puddin -no G on the end!!! They will think i'm mad!! ha ha.

He has eaten twice today. His meat in am and warm chicken for lunch which i put in the carrier half way in. The crafty boy didnt stay in there to eat but picked up the food mouth by mouth and took it outside the carrier to eat it! He remembers the door shutting on him alright!!
I hope he will get used to going right in the carrier again or i will have to use the loud trap.

I've had 4 calls from the posters and they have all said they have seen him in my road. Thats quite funny cause i know that but the posters were meant to get info on where else he goes!! ha ha oh well.

Thanks for all help. x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts