Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone out there can help. I rescued my cat, Milo, from a family who couldn't take care of her about 8 years ago.

Almost immediately, I began noticing how neurotic she was in the house. She wouldn't come out of my room, and if she did (on her own free will), she would start howling and pee/poop all the way back to my room. I took her to the vet many times, and there is nothing physically wrong...like an infection or anything.

Over the years, she has gotten much worse! She won't come out from my room, under my bed. When she does, we can't even look at her or shell shoot off. Since we got her, we've moved three times into different houses and I think that made it worse. This last move she started howling all the time, she's peeing/pooping everywhere. Earlier today I swept the floor in my room, being VERY careful to not go near her, and she still flipped out.....screaming, peeing, pooping.

I don't know what to do anymore. I need help. My parents suggested that I put her to sleep, but she's only 8 years old. However, at the same time, I can't keep living like this with her. We never see her and I think she's miserable. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is putting her to sleep the best option? Will a vet put an 8 year old cat to sleep? Help, please! I'm desperate.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Welcome, and I'm very sorry to hear about Milo's behavior.
I think you should make a vet appointment and discuss her mental health with the professional. I'm not sure if there is anything that could be done. Maybe the vet would have an idea about a medication that could relax and mellow her out...maybe help her...but it seems like even that would be difficult for you to administer on a regular schedule.
The howling and elimination appear to be reactions to extreme fear...and the things that are setting this behavior off are generally *not* truly fearful things. I mean, I could expect that type of reaction for a cat new to living inside a house and having never heard/seen a hair dryer or a vacuum...but to react that way to just walking out into the hall, someone looking at her or just quietly sweeping? Something isn't 'right'.
I'm sorry, it just doesn't sound promissing at all. :patback
heidi

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your input! I am deftly afraid that the vet is the only solution and that there won't be anything they can do. I just hate that she's progressed so quickly.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
I know it, and I'm sorry. :patback
IF, worse comes to worst...know that you LOVED her and you TRIED everything you could. If the vet recommends humane euthenasia...I know it will hurt you, but it really would be releasing her from her mental prison that kept her in a perpetual he-double-hockey-sticks and constant state of misery. Poor mental health isn't only suffered by humans, and our pets cannot tell us what is wrong or what would help them feel better. We do the best we can, and that is all we can do.
Best of luck to you both in your search for peace.
heidi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts