Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, i'm new to this fourm. I joined because I have a problem. Please don't assume I'm a bad person. Have an open mind and understand I'm trying to do the right thing NOW.

I got this kitten for free about five years ago. I got him for my grandma, since her dog passed away and her house was empty. He was a fuzzy cute little guy, black and white with a perfect mustache. We named him Speedy.
I moved in with my grandma shortly after I got her Speedy. About a year of living in the house, (give or take) my grandma got a puppy. The puppy HATED Speedy and chased and attacked him every chance he got. Eventually Speedy stopped coming inside (doggie door) because he was terrified of the yorkie puppy. So I fed him daily on the porch and he slept on the chair with a baby blanket on it. Then I moved across state. I left him.
I came back last year, I was gone three years in total. To my surprise, Speedy was still hanging around. He looked sick, skinny, and his once beautiful soft fur was all matted up. The bone in his chest protrudes out, seemingly making it painful to walk, jump, ect. I assume he got kicked because he is now skittish of people.
Anyways, I moved back, ended up rescuing an abused pitbull and rehabilitating him. I have two dogs, and three cats in my home. (I now live with my mom) I worried about Speedy everyday when I drive by my grandmas on my way to work. She never has fed him, or shown him any affection since she abandoned him.
I went to my grandmas tonight, Speedy came running up and he was surprisingly well groomed and appeared to gain some weight. I fed him, and he rubbed against me desperatly wanting affection. He spoted another cat and ran across the street to fight it. I chased after him, picked him up and put him in my car. Now he's in my room.
The thing is though, is that what if someone took him in? He seemed happy and in much better health than last month when I saw him...
I fel bad taking him away from his neighboorhood and the only life he knows. What do I do? I feel so bad. I know my dog will be ok with him, and so will the other dog, and the cats, but what about Speedy? Did I do the right thing? Should I take him back?

·
Registered
763 Posts
First, bring him to the vet and have him scanned for a micro chip. Second, watch for lost cat ads in the area, while keeping Speedy safely with you. Third, perhaps place some found cat ads around. Leave the description general, especially leaving out a detail that is specific to Speedy, such as a special coloring, or how many white paws he has or whatever, to rule out the creeps.

If no one comes forward, you have rescued Speedy from a crummy life, and you can rest easy.

Speedy surely deserves some happiness after the bum deal he got at the hands of your grandmother's

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I think you did a good thing. Speedy will be sure of proper care with you and you obviously love this cat and have compassion on him. Hes had it way too hard already give him the last years of his life a good home and dont look back. MHO

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
I agree, keep him with you and give him some love and the medical care he deserves. He may have figured out how to hunt vermin and finally fattened up a bit. A home life is 1000 times better than a street life and if granny (shame on granny, BTW) does not care about him, then you do it. I'm happy Speedy found you again.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You got a second chance to do the right thing. You said you always worried about him. When you went over there and that cat came running up to you, it showed that he remembered you and the kindness you showed him in the past. I think its a sign that you two were meant to be together. It sounds like he's hard a hard life and deserves a break.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
First, bring him to the vet and have him scanned for a micro chip. Second, watch for lost cat ads in the area, while keeping Speedy safely with you. Third, perhaps place some found cat ads around. Leave the description general, especially leaving out a detail that is specific to Speedy, such as a special coloring, or how many white paws he has or whatever, to rule out the creeps.

If no one comes forward, you have rescued Speedy from a crummy life, and you can rest easy.

Speedy surely deserves some happiness after the bum deal he got at the hands of your grandmother's
This is what you should do. To take it one step farther, I would phone the closest SPCA and let them know you picked up a cat around that area and intend to keep it if no one comes forward. When a cat goes missing often the owners will phone and alert the SPCA.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It honestly sounds like he is much better off with you. He may need some adjusting time with your other animals, but i think everyone will come around as long as you introduce them properly. But if he was that hungry, sounds like you were just in time!! Even though he wasnt *quite* as bad off, all that may mean is that someone else in the neighbourhood is feeding him as well. Since he was still so desperate for your love and affection, i would say food may be all he has been getting. You care for him. He will be happy with you :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for all the replies and advice!!!
There is no need for a lost cat flyers and all that, because he was my grandmas cat.
But if any of you were wondering I have an update on Speedy

He seems to be adjusting much better than I thought he would. He is wild, there is no doubt about that. But coming home from work and him laying comfterably sprawled out on my bed makes up for his wild-ness. He eventually came out from under my bed and now sleeps in my big windowsil during the day. He sleeps with me and my dog at night, with me in the middle of course. He stays away from the other animals and shows no concern for being around them. He even smacked my dog and made his nose bleed. Now my dog is scared of him. But he is much more cautious around him. He's very gentle though so I don't worry.

He is really a good boy and i'm so happy I went back and got him. I feel terrible for what happened and I hope he can eventally trust me again.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
That sounds very encouraging. I am glad he is with you and adapting so well. Please post pictures when you get a chance! Would love to see him.

·
Registered
103 Posts

I think that this is good advice.

You did the right thing. But if someone did take care of him, it would be nice to connect with them-even if they don't really want him-I am sure they would want to know that he is in good hands.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts