Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see many posts about trying to figure out why your cat is peeing outside its litter box, but unless the problem is medical, there is no solution to this problem. I have a 1 year old calico that we brought in as a stray about 7 months ago. We had 3 other cats in the house. No problems came of this. However we've now added another stray and now the calico cat is peeing once in while on our couch, chair, carpet, etc. We remove the item or keep her from the room that she went in and she just picks a new spot! She'll also use the litter box, but will also once every couple of days, go in these other places. She's been checked at the vet and is okay. We tried feliway, but it's not working. She seems to not like the other female cats and sometimes goes after them. So, now that we've figured out its behavioral and she appears to be saying, "hey, that's my spot, see where I peed?" What do we do? I'm not the type of person that gets rid of cats (that seems obvious) but this is the closest in my 20+ years of pet ownership that I'm considering getting rid of one. She is ruining our home....I've cleaned, bought all new litter boxes...you name it I've done it...now what...HELP

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
How many litterboxes do you have?
What I would do, is lock her in a room with a litterbox and see if she starts to use it again.
Is this the first cat you've brought in since you've had her. She might react differently to a new intruder on "her" turf, vs when you got her and the other cats had already been in house

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Help_cat upset and marking

I have 7 litter boxes, more than recommended. Yes, again, diagnosing why she's doing this is easy...it's the new stray we brought in, but stopping her from marking is not easy. Even if I get rid of the stray, the calico may not stop marking now......Yes, I may have to keep her in a room to herself, however, we're already doing with with an older cat who marks and I am running out of rooms. I can't put the two together because they hate each other and am afraid they'll just go all over the place trying to outdo each other!!

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Is she spayed? Female cats may engage in marking as well as males...

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
I agree that spaying is the next step. You might try a new introduction, and a more lengthy one, with the latest stray. But if those have already been done, this might just be one of those cases where you don't know the answer to the question "how many cats is too many?" until you've got one too many.

A cat with known litterbox issues may be hard to adopt. Finding another home for the most recent arrival might be the solution, but then since the behavior has already had time to become habitual, it might not. I'm sorry I can't offer any easy solution. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts