Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13-year-old, grey and white domestic long hair female cat, and she's been pulling the hair out at the base of her tail and around the end of her back. We recently (3.5 months ago) relocated her from my parent's house in California to here in Seattle, where she's now entirely indoors. Soon after we moved her, she got fleas, and scratched a lot and gave herself a small bald spot on the base of her tail, but when we put a new flea collar on her it cleared up. The bald spot didn't grow in again, but it didn't get bigger either. In the last two weeks, however, she's been tearing more fur out of the area, and the original bald spot got bigger. I tested the flea collar, and it's still giving off the powder, I've combed for bugs, and she doesn't have any. She's eating the same food she's been eating her entire life (Fancy Feast wet and Eukanuba dry), a few days ago I switched her to a dry food from a pet health food store that's all natural etc, in case she's developed a food allergy, but that hasn't worked either. I know that dogs resort to compulsive grooming (licking their paws, etc) when they're bored, or stressed, and now that she's an indoor cat, I'm worried that might be the problem, so I don't want to stuff her in her box and take her to the vet, which she hates, if I don't have to, because I'm worried she'll just get more stressed. When she first came here she spent most of the day under the bed, sleeping, and now she's out and about and behaving normally, so she's not more stressed than she was when she first got the flea collar. I've reviewed some similar complaints on this sight, and it all seems to come down to factors that I don't think apply here. If anyone knows what might be causing the problem, I'd appreciate input.

Thanks,
Virginia

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
take off the flea collar, they can irritate the cat and dont really do all that much good. Put a normal collar on her if you want her to have one on. After about 2 weeks with no flea collar get something like frontline from your vets and treat her, if their are any fleas there that will kill them off, she may have a flea allergy.
It is posible she is allergic to something in your house- a carpet cleaner, polish, do you smoke whereas b4 she was in a smoke free enviroment? It can be one of many things, has she been to the vets for a check up since this problem started? if not then she really should go that may help sort the problem, if she did go last time and nothing came up go back and say the problem has come back, if you are not happy with the vets responce then maybe a second opinion.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I just wanted to say that it may take awhile before you notice a change with the food if it truly is skin allergies. What ingredients does the food contain?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts