1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just looks like a domestic short hair to me like the cat on top of this forum far left. Unless you had some more pictures of back markings and such it's not easy for me to tell. Maybe someone else would know otherwise

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
Absolutely adorable!!
Whatever the "Breed"!!! :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well shorthair you would probably mean domestic shorthair as the cat type. Silver tabby would just be the coloring. You can do a search and check the images for silver tabby. Most are not like the one you show. But searching the color may lead you somewhere to maybe a short hair breed mostly in that color or I think it may take a while to find it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.

Well shorthair you would probably mean domestic shorthair as the cat type. Silver tabby would just be the coloring. You can do a search and check the images for silver tabby. Most are not like the one you show. But searching the color may lead you somewhere to maybe a short hair breed mostly in that color or I think it may take a while to find it.
I tried doing that and I ended up with a lot of cats that have a very dark pattern. I'll keep searching (even tried white tabby, but that pulled up more that were not what I'm looking for).

I appreciate your help, and if anyone does recognize the breed, please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Most cats aren't any breed, they are just a domestic shorthair... cats breeds make up like 5% of the entire cat population and also every single coloring and shape and size can be found is the cats on the street. The way cat breeds work is pretty much reverse from dogs, they don't descend from long lines of cat breeds. Many cat breeds are less than 100 years old, and they only started by someone picking up an interesting looking cat off the street and breeding it, or by modifying already established cat breeds... all cats come from domestic shorthairs (cats of unknown origin), not the other way around.

The cat looks like a silver tabby kitten. That it's coat color... not breed. Because we can't see the side I can't determine if it's spotted, mackerel or classic. But there's no shortage of cats in shelters that look just like it. :)

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Possibly Silver Tabby American Shorthair. If the striping on it's sides is like a tiger then it's a Silver Mackerel Tabby, compared to the ones in these pics which are the Classic (or sometimes called "blotched") Tabby pattern with the bull's eye and circular striping on the sides.

Breed Profile: The American Shorthair

1 - 13 of 13 Posts