Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted a 5 month kitten from the shelter and everything was going fine until it wasn't. She can be very demanding. I've been trying to sleep at night and she wants attention. I'm really tired and tell her no. She then bites me. Particularly on my neck, and she shakes her head back and fourth for good measure.

Tonight, when I was protecting my neck with my blanket, she chose the next best target. She sunk her teeth into my jaw as deep as she could without breaking skin. It really hurt and she ignored my 'cat noises of pain.' Even as I type this, she's biting my fingers. I don't know what to do. She's biting my feet, my legs, my hands, anything in her reach.

I've tried spraying her with a water bottle, sternly say no and pushing her away, putting her off the bed. Nothing works. Please help! I'm afraid she might really hurt me, especially when she tries to tear my throat.

·
Registered
564 Posts
When she is coming toward you, distract her with a treat or a toy tossed away from you.
When she gets in a bite, take her a put her into another room and close the door and leave her there for a few minutes. When she comes out, if she does the same thing, put her into the other room again. You may have to repeat this a hundred times, but eventually she may learn that if she wants to be with you she cannot bite.

You need to be serious about this, because my guess is she thinks it is a game. By serious I don't mean to be angry or rough with her...but to be firm and no-nonsense. If she is using claws on you, get her claws trimmed and rounded so she cannot scratch you.

Also, make sure you play with her a lot. If you can get her running around chasing a piece of paper on a string, maybe you can get some of that wild energy out of her. A tired kitty is a good kitty.

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
143 Posts
I second @Mosi advice. Loads more play sessions. She's likely bored and needs more stimulation.

It also sounds like she may be teething. If you have any raw chicken wing tips or necks, you can try seeing if she will chew on them (under supervision) as that may relieve some of the frustration of her new teeth growing in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Two ways to approach it

1- Play with her b/f you go to bed - exhaust her energy and she'll leave you alone
2- If you don't want to do #1 - wait until she'll grow out of it. My MaineCoon did exactly that - I called them "love bites" but they HURT!!!! Everytime I covered the part he'd bite - he would find another location... Then it turn into licks and some bites... then licks... now he leaves me alone (with the occasional hair yanks) - but the days I play with him (aka not lazy) - I don't get any "extra" attention

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
For your own safety and peace in bed, I would ban her from the bedroom so you can get restful sleep. Give her a short playtime and then a small meal before you go to bed.....for night time put her in a small room (bathroom) or other room or a dog crate that can also have room for a small litter box, and do this every night and shortly she will get into the routine and willingly go in the spare room or crate. It sounds like she was taken from her mamacat and litter mates. before 3 mos. of age, and didn't learn her bite control and socialization manners by wrestling with her litter mates and mamacat who disciplines or walks away from kitties that are too aggressive. All the best and would like to hear an update.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts