Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lexie can't seem to tolerate any treats or wet food whatsoever - it immediately gives her diarrhea, so she's been on strictly dry food since then (MaxCat Adult), but still seems to have soft stools fairly often (they range from hard to very soft), and smell like there's no tomorrow - i'm having to wipe her bum everyday due to remaining bits. What could cause this? Should i try switching foods? What other alternatives could i use as treats?? She's been dewormed a month ago and is also on advantage flea treatment (rescued as stray).

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Deworming is often done 2-3 times before it is effective. You should have a fecal test done. It's very possible she still has worms and that does cause diarrhea.

Oh, and I'd be more worried about getting her an a good diet and not trying to give her treats if she's having any health issues. They don't need treats anyway....it's mostly for our benefit i think. :wink:

NutroMax is also not a great food, you should try looking at some of the others that many of the forum members feed her. There is not much difference in price, with some of them...like Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul, or Felidae, they are actually cheaper.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have an article on Irritable Bowel on our website along with other articles on feeding and nutrition, including one on switching foods.

Of course,I don't recommend dry food for cats, let alone as the sole diet. If there is a problem tolerating canned food, that is at least partially due to the havoc a dry diet causes to the GI tract. A slow transition, along with the addition of digestive enzymes and acidophilus, should help.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

Nutro is not the best but it is far superior to grocery store foods like Purina, as well as Iams and Science Diet.

But there is no dry food that is all that great. They are all high in carbs, low in moisture, and not good for cats.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,

Just curious if you adopted Lexie in the US? A friend of mine dumped his cat (Lexie) at a shelter once they had their first baby. At the time I couldn't rescue her but i saw her pic on petfinder.com. She looked so sad. :( Anyway, she looked a lot like your Lexie. Can it be her?

Sorry to get off topic!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts