Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have this four-month-old street kitten that's been eating and playing in my front yard for two months. Recently, she got horribly sick with worms and won't eat at all. After some worm medication, she bounced back to health, but another problem arouses.... Now, she seems to leave her poop everywhere - while she meows to beg for food, she will poop out a teeny bit. Then, when I wasn't looking, she would poop out some streaks of poo as well. I thought it was because she couldn't hold it in (she had diarrhea for some time now, though it seems to be getting solid), but apparently she never did this anywhere else. Her 'home' (where she was born) was my neighbor's house and she never did this there. I just don't get it. She usually uses the patch of soil near the drain/by the end of the neighborhood to do her business, and this gets washed out by the rain. I just don't understand why she won't use it anymore.
Everyone else in my house is getting tired of her, so I really hope there's a solution to this...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Please do not "throw away" your kitten that is horrible!

Is she pooping inside or outside? Wrms will cause diarreah..so since she's been treated her stools should become more solid. I would take her to the vet. I don't know why she's behaving. Is she indoor or outdoor?

·
Registered
913 Posts
This is almost certainly a medical problem, not a behavioral one. Any abrupt change in toileting or hygiene habits can indicate serious illness in a cat, and when the cat has already been having diarrhea, it's pretty clear that she's got gastrointestinal problems.

It may be that the wormer didn't kill all the worms, or that she has an additional issue. She needs a vet to diagnose and treat her.

Please take your kitten to the vet, or if you're unable to do so, find a home for her that will provide her with medical care. It's not her fault that she's sick. Please don't abandon her. :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I def dont want to abandon her, it 's just that other ppl are getting angry and we dont have a shelter program here.... I thought it was a med problem too but again, she NEVER did this in other houses. I'm so confused.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Ok, look at this age her digestive system is extremely sensitive. If she's been wormed, she could still be 'getting over' the medications effects of the original "clean out'.

This little girl is only a baby! Her system has gone through a huge shift in getting rid of the worms. She had just moved home. Now she's no where near her mother, or brothers and sisters, trying to learn her surroundings, noises, smells, "angry people", her food, even the water. Everything is different and she is "alone" as far as she knows with a bunch of strange people.
Please have a little patience with her. Yes, she very well might be having trouble "holding it" as you say. It doesn't matter if she "never did anything like that before"
Her system and anxieties are in over drive and it's just more then she can control at the moment.
Take her to a vet get her checked out. Then if all is good from the vet when you get her home, make a little spot for her in your room. Somewhere she can sleep and be left to some quiet. As odd as it sounds you might try putting a ticking clock near her bed. The ticking sound is like her mothers heartbeat and is comforting.

She needs LOADS of love, PATIENCE, understanding and care right now. Please just take a deep breath and remember she is still very much a tiny baby.

Keep us posted as to how things are going. What's her name? Any pictures? We'd love to see some.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx, cat face! She doesn't have a name yet - and she's not really my pet; I took care of her because the neighbor was going to throw her away... I guess her system is still adjusting. She was not moved to another enviroment. Her feral mom just weaned her, though, because she had another baby, and she's SO hostile to yhis kitten now. It's sad. I'm actually abroad and the ones dealing with her are the ppl in my house. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if she gets better. Her behavior definitely shows that she's feeling healthy...
Is there anything else that you guys suggest doing too, mybe to show that pooping on the floor is not ok or something? I'll def mak

·
Registered
779 Posts
I wouldn't bother trying to teach her that pooping on the floor isn't okay because she's not doing it intentionally. If you were sick, would you stop vomiting just because someone told you not to? Her body needs to adjust and it sounds like seeing a vet might be helpful as well. You said that she didn't do this at other houses, so it's not normal behavior for her... therefore you really ought to take her to the vet. Maybe she still has worms, a parasite, or something else.

You said there is no shelter nearby but the neighbor wants to "throw her away..." I don't even want to know what that means. If you are unable to keep the cat, please do your best try and find a shelter or rescue that could take her. Ask the vet for resources as well.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
do you think you could set up a litter box for her? Show her where it is, and after she eats, give her a few minutes, then set her in the box because she'll have to go. Giving her someplace to go inside right now may be helpful on a little system that is struggling to adjust to things. Maybe she can't make it outside in time, or is afraid. You said the mother is hostile, well that's HUGELY upsetiing to her and I'm sure she's scared to death. Every noise could be an angry mother!
The object right now is trying to make her feel secure. Her own little bed... a litter box if you can All these are safe places, she won't be attacked.

Still, get her to a vet for a check and tell the vet all that you've shared here.

Best of luck to you and your little girl.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Shes a tiny kitten, she isn't doing this to be bad... there's something going on.

I sure hope when you're old and feeble and messing yourself people don't decide to 'throw you away'.....

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
She is not pooping because she is BAD, she has a medical issue going on. Apparently it is time to take this poor baby to a vet. "Throwing away" a kitten because she is sick - (don't be confused, she is NOT misbehaving), is paramount to animal abuse. Do the right thing and get her treated properly. If you feed her, you own her.

·
Registered
664 Posts
When our Ponyo had accidents like this was because of worm. For some reason the worm meds that the vet gave her did work but not completely clean the worm. It was frustrating... she had really bad gas and even had accidents on my shirt and while I was cuddling her at 5am! But she is the sweetest cat so there is no way I could abandon her. She didn't show she was ill either, very active and ate a lot but didn't gain weight like she was suppose to. Check if your cat is still have fleas or worm or take her to the vet to do test. If it's from fleas it's tapeworm. Because she is young be careful with any medication dosage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
When I said tht the neighbor wants to throw her away, I mean that they want to take her somewhere else far from our neighborhood and leave her there. They already did this with a mother cat and her kittens in the past. So please don't judge me because I'm trying so hard to keep her here, even though technically I don't really have the resources to keep her properly. And I live in another country - don't equate the animal welfare system here with the US.

OK, now I was told that she will probably be moved to the neighbor's other house, and will probably live there (but still without vet care...but I'm glad she'll be getting food). :( I wish I could keep her, but I guess this is for the best.

I'm sorry too if I upset some people with this thread. I'm sorta freaking out when I posted this so I may not have worded this problem that accurately.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^ Judge all you want. Compassion can't be thoroughly acted out without resources - I wish the world would be as idealistic as your mind is, but it isn't. I already told you I don't want to abandon her, but can I stop what other people will do? It doesn't matter, she's going away anyways, and at least she'll still be fed there.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
You started it!!

Don't blame MowMow or anyone else for their comments. May I remind you that YOU were the one that started out the thread with:

"Hey, I have this four-month-old street kitten that's been eating and playing in my front yard for two month

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That's why I told everyone that I'm sorry for wording my initial post inappropriately. She is NOT my pet. Her mother was feral and I fed her because she keeps begging at my door, and I felt sorry for her, and I do like her so much taht I want to take her in. But it is not possible at the moment, and I am not the one taking care of her currently since I am out of town for work. I thought I could keep her in the area if I can stop her from pooping everywhere - which i now know is NOT a behavioral problem.

Let me repeat this : SHE'S GOING SOMEWHERE ELSE TO LIVE (hopefully) COMFORTABLY. And I'm sorry for this thread.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To make it clear - I think people also don't really understand what I meant by her not pooping in other people's houses:

She's a street cat, she roams everywhere and visits other people's houses for food/entertainment. She never poops in their yards, but she always did in ours. We'll try setting up a litter box and waiting until her stomach adjusts. For the moment, is chicken breast a good food for her tender stomach?

·
Registered
32 Posts
If she's taking to eating from lots of different homes, she may be eating lots of different brands of food. And that can mess up a cat's stomach. So that's another thing to look at.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts