Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!! to be honest..I never was a cat person...until 6 kitties were born into my home. I now have 2 of those 6 here, and well..they ae my babies!

anyways....like I said these two cats are brothers. They have been together since birth. and though they do like to play a little rough..they have always been loving to one another. BTY..these are 2 male (neutered) cats 2 1/2 years old. Now the one "hisses" and freaks out around the other. The other one has been hiding out..giving no response to the hissing one.
Sunday..my brother in law left my door open and these two characters went outside (they are strictly inside cats). Something happened while they were outside.. we don't know for sure but we assume that a stray cat attacked one of our cats leaving him with an abcessed paw (who we sought help for and he is on antibiotics & not feeling well at all!!) So the one who is doing all of the hissing is the one who isn't hurt. and this has just started Sunday as well.
I am so worried that this brotherly relationship will not go back to what it was... will this eventually subside and they go back to the loving brothers they were or am I looking at trouble in the future?
Thank-you so much for wearing your eyes on this one. but I know you understand what it is to worry about your loved ones!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Did this start when your cat came back from the vet? It is not unusual for cats to respond in this manner. The sick cat may smell different and/or they may sense there is something wrong and they can't figure it out.

Is it possible to put the injured kitty into a bedroom for some rest and relaxation for the night? Maybe by tomorrow things will settle down again. If catnip seems to calm your cats, you may try offering them a little. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I am happy to hear that your kitties are indoors only - it is the safest way!
About the animosity between your kitties - indeed as mentioned if it has started once you have taken the injured baby to the vet that is more than probable the cause
What happens is he picked up foreign scents from the vet and he is unrecognizable or menacing to the kitty that stayed home.
You can try and put a drop of vanilla on the back of their necks. That has the role of making the kitties smell pleasantly alike - therefore familiar. If that doesn't do the trick (ceasing of the hissings and growlings) in a short amount of time then a re-introduction is necessary so the frustration doesn't grow bigger.
They will have to be separated just as if you had to introduce two brand new kitties to one another (like they never met before). Here is more in depth information on how exactly to do so. The information comes from Dr. Jean's free article library and you will find it extremely helpful
Best of luck and let us know how they make progress :D
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stone Cold=hurt Tigger=hissing & growling

Thank-you I will try cat nip & vanilla. I am in tears over this one. I do not want to get rid of my cat but If all else fails!!
I just don't understand this at all. actually I noticed Tigger growling Sunday eve after they ran in the house. Tigger did go & sniff him. But since I brought Stone Cold back last night they cannot be together!

Did I mention that because I was worried about Stone Colds' paw...I took him to work with me yeasterday so I could keep a close eye on him. and left tigger here at home. Would this have something to do with Tigger's actions?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Yes, it will - that will make him pick up more strange smells that Tiger, who will stay at home won't like.
In case it is not obvious by now - when one of the cat goes away (vet trip, to work with you, etc) it loses some of the famliar scents that they are both surounded in their environment, at your home. The scent plays a major role in cats liking each other. The more they smell alike the more they like each other.
There is no need to lose hope - just keep them separated and go on with the re-introduction process. While you keep them in separate rooms exchange between them the bedding (towel, blanket, kitty bed) that they usually lay on - this will make them grow accustom to the way each other smells - therefore familiar. Make sure you follow the instructions on Dr. Jean's site as well - she is an expert.
Be patient and start working with them - you will see at least little progress soon

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree....it is wayyyyy too soon to give up hope and think about rehoming one of the cats. Take it slow. Keep the injured cat at home in a bedroom or bathroom. Follow Dr. Jeans and Iaona's tips. Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Also, in addition to the vet trip, cats in colonies will sometimes drive away a fellow colony member who's sick, just out of survival instinct.

It doesn't take much to throw off a cat's sense of its world...I've noticed that even at the shelter, when I take several cats out of a condo just to clean it, sometimes it takes a while (15 minutes or so) for them to get re-acclimated to being confined with each other once they go back in, just because their sense of space has been disturbed.

There are some good articles and threads here about gradually introducing two cats to each other, and that's probably what you'll need to do, just to let them get re-used to each other after their traumatic experience. It's really hard, watching two cats that you love fight, but it's important to try not to take it personally...they have their own way of communicating, and it's usually as incomprehensible to humans as "War and Peace" would be to cats...you know that there's *something* happening there, but understanding the full meaning and importance of it is another story. :) The best thing you can do is facilitate whatever communication they need to do and make sure that they're both safe and secure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank-you all again sooooooooo much for your advice!! As you can tell I am just so upset by this whole event. I hope & pray they will again be the loving brothers they have always been. I have noticed that my "well" cat is not agressive towards the "hurt" one but VERY defensive (hence the hissing). It is good to know that this can be solved with a little work on our end. I LOVE my cats and the thought of having to choose between them was unbearable!!!!!

one more question...since this has only affected the one cat and the other seems to pay no heed to it. do I need to concentrate on the cat that is hissing or do they both need to be re-introduced to each others smell?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE!!!!!

I am amazed!!!! If you couldn't tell already, I have been frantic over this situation and trying to solve it. It never occured to me that my cats are smart and able to tend to their own relationship problems!!!

I kept them seperated while I was at work. When I came home I took a washrag and rubbed it all over Stone Cold. I went into the bedroom and laid it in front of Tigger. I got the same reaction (hissing & growling) so I laid beside him petted him and talked to him while he hissed at this rag. Eventually, he stopped hissing and started sniffing it. The bedroom door was left open and Stone Cold wandered in. Tigger hissed & growled at him
(not in an aggressive way...more a defensive way). Well Stone Cold just laid there not moving. I went where they couldn't see me and watched them.....HOW AMAZING.... Stone Cold seemed to understand Tiggers fright and though he wanted to go to Tigger he just gave him space and let him hiss.

I had planned on trying the feed them behind the door thing but when the can opened the both appeared front and center so I fed them in their usual spot side by side. Tigger did hiss, but continued to eat his food. I did not lock them up last night since I felt there was just a fear and no actual danger! This morning, though still timid, Tigger was actually going up to Stone Cold sniffing him. Stone Cold just stood there and let him do this!!
I have a good feeling that in a few more days things might be back to normal. I guess I misjudged my cats' abilities to repair their own relationship!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
That is great news, Scrappiedo - as long as they both smell the same&get used to each other again everything will be back to normal. Both kitties should receive equal attention from you!
Keep us updated and post pictures too :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks...I put pictures in the meet my kitty section......my babies.....they are still not cuddling but Tigger is not hissing and I can leave them alone together again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts