Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever my husband and I go visit my father we end up watching multiple movies and it is oftentimes very uncomfortable for my husband. Dad likes horror, action and shows like Game of Thrones. My husband hates seeing explicit fleshy stuff with his father-in-law and he also gets really creeped out by horror movies that have any religious bent (like The Exorcist) or anything that is all gore. A little brief gore is ok.

I get bored by guns and drug dealers so that rules out a lot of action movies. We all like good comedies, Sci-fi, fantasy or the horror/ sci-fi cross genre stuff (like Alien vs. Predator, the Thing etc). Dad is in his 70's and doesn't like movies that are slow to get going or too complicated (like Girl with the Dragon Tattoo).

It's a tall order to fill and I'm trying to avoid another weekend where either my husband is miserable or my dad is:( I'm open to any suggestions. Please help!

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
What about Firefly? It is sci fi. Was a tv show kind of a science fiction western. Very clever and well done. There was only one season and a movie Serenity but well worth watching. Definitely not boring.

·
Registered
719 Posts
So your dad doesn't like anything too complicated, but he likes GoT? I can only guess what aspects of the show he likes ;)

Here's a random mix of my recommendations (chances are, you'll have seen a bunch of them)

Bourne trilogy
Children of Men
Dark City
District 9
Gravity
Hanna
The Hunger Games (both movies released so far)
Inception
Sin City
Taken
Zombieland

Most of the Marvel movies are also quite entertaining, especially the ones specific to the Avengers universe i.e. Iron Man, Thor, Capt. America, Hulk.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
How about going a little retro? Beverly Hills Cop, the Indiana Jones series, some 80s ninja flicks romcoms... A Madonna movie or 2... The Expendables ET Arthur

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
To add to Bluemilks list, Ghost Busters 1&2, Young Frankenstein and if you've never seen it, The Rocky Road Horror Picture Show!
All very funny!

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
More! I don't know how he or you guys feel about animated movies, but, House, Ice Age 1,2&3, and Finding Nemo!

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
Great animal stories, 'Eight Below' based on a true story about sled dogs...will have you laughing and crying, definitely action/adventure and 'Sea Biscuit', the story of a horse.

Western Movies: any based on Louis Lamour books! Several had Sam Elliot and Tom Selleck in them.

Crocodile Dundee movies!

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
I've seen every movie tezster listed, and they're good, or at least interesting, movies.

Maybe consider Prisoners (about a little girl being kidnapped), Homefront (at one point also has a little girl being kidnapped... uh.), which reminds me of Gone Baby Gone (also has a girl being kidnapped!!), The Secret Life of Walter Mitty... have you seen Wanted? ... the newer Star Trek movies? Prometheus? The Hunger Games? A Knight's Tale? American Hustle? ... OH! The Art of the Steal was entertaining. Which reminds me of that other heist movie, Man on a Ledge! OH!! I really like Blood Diamond. Have you see it? Knowing, and Next... they sort of feel like the same movie. :lol: I also sort of liked Dark Skies. Which reminds me of Signs. Which sort of minds me of Gladiator, just because it's got the same person in it, too... but everyone has seen that (unless you're my aunt). If you haven't seen it, just go see it. Which makes me mention The Matrix, just in case you haven't seen it...

My rambling is done. I enjoyed everything that I listed.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Oh, and Narnia! I liked those.

Somehow I started thinking about magic, and remembered The Incredible Burt Wonderstone. Also 2 Guns and 21 Jump Street -- not magical, but I thought they were funny.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Small Time Crooks, Three Amigos, Galaxy Quest, these are comedies, I can watch them 20 times and still laugh at the same jokes.

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
I loved Dirty Rotten Scoundrels!
Now I'm going to have to watch it again!
Another comedy: A Fish Called Wanda, has some of the Monty Python crew actors and Jamie Lee Curtis in it!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am a sci-fi freak and have been practically since birth. There are some good recommendations here!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Marmoset, your husband sounds like me. I don’t like that sort of stuff either.

I have to say that I did like fire fly and I saw it 3 times over the years. Oh and I just saw man on fire recently for the 2nd time.

·
Super Moderator
26,496 Posts
I just saw Training Day again for the first time since it came out. I forgot what a good movie that was.

·
Registered
245 Posts
A classic like Smokey and the Bandit?
A hilarious nonsense like Men in tights?
I watched a movie last night (for the 3rd time) called Act of Valor, the guys in that one are real life, active duty Navy Seals (although the plot is made up).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts