Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:? A family member recently found a cat and gave it to us since we live on a small ranch. This cat was supposed to become an outdoor cat since it seemed to love the outdoors. After some time the cat started howling like crazy and following us around and just seemed to not be happy with being outside. I brought him inside and I already have a multiple cat household as it was....I have 5 other cats (3 males and 2 females- all have been fixed). It has only been about two weeks of him being inside but now he seems to be very unhappy with being inside. This cat just doesn't seem to know what he wants. He meows constantly and seems to roam through the house meowing and when you pick him up and he is very nasty. He seems to want to be outside now that he is inside. He normally is very loveable. He is biting also very hard when you do find him in a good mood and can get him to purr. This really hurts too. He hasn't seemed to accept the other cats in the house yet. I know it takes about a month or longer sometimes to get them used to the other cats. This male cat has been fixed as well and is a brown classic maine coon cat. A very beautiful cat. I am not sure whether this cat could have mutilpe personalities or not?????Please help!!!! :?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well, I probably can't be of much help, but I sure do believe that cats can have multiple personalies. LoL! Else it's extreme mood swings or something.

One of my girls, Callie, is so very moody. One minute she is sooooo loving, next she is attacking you if you touch her. She has always kinda been like this, but since getting her spayed in late Janurary, she seems even more so. We have 6 indoor cats, but she is the only one that is like that. I guess in a way it makes her special though, you know how they all have ways that make them unique, I guess the mood swings are what makes Callie, Callie. :D

Lots of luck to you and the kitty.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't think your kitty's psycho :shock: !
I do think we could handle the situaltion a whole lot better if we knew his history better, but it seems like that's wishful thinking. The main factor is taking a cat who may never have lived in close quarters with so many cats and forcing the adjustment. He may really really want to be with you, but the cat situation is setting him on edge, which is what is giving the appearance of split personality.
The answer is a bit more difficult. Obviously, give him space and time. You mentioned that sometimes it takes cats a month to adjust. Actually, a few studies have shown that the average time for cats to fully accept newcomers into the social structure and vice versa is more like six months. So like I said, give him time. The biting is also a by-product of the overstimulation from his stress. I would just not give his mouth access to your hand for a while. Know his limits when it comes to petting. Just be a bit more passive and let him dictate the pace.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice! It sure does seem like Winchester has multiple personalities sometimes! I wish I knew what his background was. But that is impossible to know. He has his own room to go to and he uses it well to get away from the other cats. He KNOWS this room is his too! I have his own food/ water and litter box in there. He has full run of the house during the day when someone is here to watch him which is most of the time and I will close the door at night and he is happy. I just don't know what his past has held and in that year, who knows what all has happened to him. I got my other cat Sara in November and she got used to the other cats in about January. So I know it does take time and I am willing to give Winchester all the time in the world. He had a very good day yesterday and so far today is doing wonderful! Yesterday, he even was playing with those balls with the bells in them and was having a lot of fun!He still hisses at the other cats but it is starting not to be as frequent! I am soooo happy about that!!! I try not to let him bit if I can help it....I think he is going for blood when he does it....he bites HARD!!! Thanks to everyone for all the advice though! It is a big help!!! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts