Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I posted a few times before on this forum, and I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have two beautiful Siamese cat siblings, a boy, and a girl. They will be three in November and have always been quirky but for the past six months or more, my boy cat (who is the more high-strung of the two) has been pooping outside the litter box. He has a cushion that became a favorite spot to poop although no one could catch him at it (we saw the evidence later). Thinking it was the litter, we changed litter (although he does seem to use the box too) - that didn't help. We added more litter boxes, now we have two right next to each other, and it still doesn't seem to help. I even added one upstairs (even though the cushion is downstairs) and neither cat used it. He still pooped on the cushion. I should note that both cats came from a breeder and were litter box trained when we got them - in fact, this behavior only started about a year ago. There have been no noticeable changes where we live except if a repair person comes in or when my dad went to the hospital briefly (just a few weeks ago). Recently, he started peeing as well. I finally had to ditch the pad he was using today and I'm worried he will seek out a new location.

We are also moving soon and I don't want him to start marking the new house (especially since we are getting new carpeting).

Any idea of why this is and how we can resolve it? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
A lot of cats really dislike their litter boxes being messy. Try cleaning them out about twice a day. Maybe even more. If that doesn’t work, you can use some Feliway. This mimics cat’s natural facial pheromones, and helps to calm them. It is also said to prevent urine spraying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I will do that. I've heard of Feliway...unknown to me, my mom purchased something from Jackson Galaxy called "stress stopper" with valerian that is supposed to be used either on fur, in food or water, or diffused through a spray bottle. It's for "short term stresses". Is that effective or should I still get the Feliway? Many thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven’t heard of Jackson Galaxy’s stress stopper. Maybe some other members have some input on that. I personally would use Feliway. You can get a spray, or plug a diffuser into the wall. Many people have said that it works well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are there feral or stray cats outside your house? Even if you don’t see them, your cats will especially at night. And most cats are territorial.
Like the others said, Feliway may help too.
If he does continue to mark, invest in some angry orange cleaner. They sell it on amazon and it is amazing.
I had a sick cat who started going outside the box and I used it to clean so my others wouldn’t start marking. It’s works very well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts