Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone here will be able to help me out. My cat Harley is a 2 year old neutered male was diagnosed with a UTI on Monday. He is currently eating an all dry food diet with fresh water at all times. (I didn't know any better when I got him and thought dry was better than wet!!!). Well my vet told me to get more water in him to help prevent this from happening again but he absolutely refuses to eat any wet food at all. Even tuna!!!!!!! I tried taking all the dry food away and they only offered him wet food at the vet's too and he didn't eat for 4 days. I finally broke down and gave him some dry this morning and he ate it right up. I have ordered a water fountain with the hope that he'll drink more water from that. I know Dr. Jean said wet food is the best but what can I do if he won't eat it. I tried warming it up, watering it down, etc. Can anyone help me? I'm worried. Thanks. They tried a number of brands at the vets office and I did too. Any suggestions!!!

Sue

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Sorry I cant help you here. Just wanted to say that so you didnt think you were being ignored.

Hopefully DrJean will see this and have some advice.

·
Registered
105 Posts
SuePado - When our cat Sid was sick and needed to be on some Prescription food, he absolutely won't have anything to do with the wet food. (We adopted him when he was 8 years old and has been fed dry food all his life) Anyway, after a whole day of not eating (maybe more) my husband and I smooshed down his wet food and made it liquid enough to be squirted our of a syringe. Be careful with the syringe method of feeding though. Point the syringe into the cheek and slowly squirt a little at a time - don't want to choke him! :) Well, eventually Sid figured that the wet food wasn't bad at all and ate it after a day or two of syringe feeding him.

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I would try getting small cans of all the good brands you can think of - or can afford. Brad and I are THINKING of turning Halifax to all wet - so we bought all 7 flavors from Wellness - the 3 oz cans. It cost around $4 something to get all of them. There are other brands who have different flavors that are a bit cheaper - try to buy the little ones first - like a taste test - don't open them all at once - but try feeding each one seperatly - and see which ones he goes for.

The eye dropper feeding sounded like a good idea - maybe he'll realize that his food isn't so bad after all - and that if he isn't going to eat it by himself - that you are going to force feed him. That should change his mind pretty quick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts