Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I've had my kitty almost three months now and every time I try to cut her nails it is a struggle. Bella is about a year old and is VERY squirmy. She doesn't really like to be picked up in the first place so when I try to hold her to cut her nails she goes balistic-- thrashing herself around, scratching and biting at me, etc. I don't know what to do! :? I've tried everything, giving her treats, talking to her softly and praising her when I get a couple of toes done, and I have never cut the quick. If anyone has any suggestions on how this could go more smoothly I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Sometimes wrapping (swaddling) your cat snugly in a towel helps, but you still have to deal with that one paw. Can you get someone to help hold? Of course the vet or a groomer can do it if necessary. You might try Feliway to help calm your cat.

One of my cats doesn't like it; the other doesn't mind much. I just do it quickly and make sure I don't touch the vein. A treat afterwards might help mend bad feelings! Good luck.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I dont have that many problems cutting the back nails with Sugar, but with Twinkie, its another story. He is very squirmy and every time I bring the nail clipper to his nail he starts going crazy again. What I do is to creep up on him when he is very sleepy and start cutting his nails, I know this sounds crazy but he is much more calmer then and still squirmy though. I roll him on his side and hold him down so he cant run away. Just make sure if the cat ever gets used to it to clip often so they get used to their nails being clipped. Good Luck :lol:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
We wrap them up in a towel and I hold them while Joe cuts their nails. It's a two person job, I think. That way you can get it done quick.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice! Wrapping her in a blanket first definitely helped, even if I could only do one paw at a time and then take a break. One other question, is it necessary to trim back claws as often as the front?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts