Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fractured canine tooth help!

My name is Dave and My 2 year old orange male Tabby had an unfortunate accident yesterday & thus I have come to this site to seek advice. He was playing & jumping around at my arrival home & unfortunately hit his chin on an extended Bowflex bench beam. I checked him out immediately & he chipped a sliver off the back part of the upper left canine, & cut his lip as well, with the sliver of tooth on his gums.
I took him in immediately after it happened yesterday afternoon. Vet told me it was slightly fractured and even let me look at it myself to idenitify the minuscule amount of pulp exposed at the tip. Again his tooth is not chipped off from the tip of it but about a 4cm sliver on the back/inside off the tooth, almost daggerish & a lil sharp. Vet gave me pain meds to help him and said there was 85% chance it won't bother him & I just need to watch for infection because pulp is exposed, however small it is.
My ? is what exactly should I do to help and what is best for him? I've just read that root canals can help negate the pulp exposed and eliminate right now. But I don't want to cause him any pain of dental work & take any unnecessary risks with anesthesia & surgery.
If anybody can help me in what to do, whether the wait and see with pain meds as trusted vet advises since its somewhat minor fracture? Or root canal to save him future, potentially worse pain and infections. Also any info of risks n recovery of root canals would be awesome. Sorry for the novel but I figured the more details, hopefully the more informed answers. Thank-you

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think a root canal is going to have to be done at some point. Others may have different thoughts, but whenever something like this has happened in my pets' "childhood" it always seems to rear its ugly head (in one form of severity or another) some time later in life.

Were it my cat, and it wasn't bothering him, I would leave it for right now, but have it in the back of my mind as a potential issue - I would look into the cost of the dental work, and start putting money away every month, so when I had enough for the whole thing it could be done without feeling like too much of a financial burden.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts