Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a microscope for my vet (she´s having a baby in September) and I know a guy who has two -new, imported from the US.

So anyway I´ve seen him today and he told me that he would sell it to me for $500, but he thinks it´s not powerful enough for cytology (my friend is a gold refiner.)

Apparently it´s a Bausch and Lomb with zoom, and it cost $2000.

My question is: will my vet be able to use the microscope if she purchases more powerful lenses since she has family in the US and Brazil? I want to surprise her so I thought I´d ask here.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Wow, 21!
Sorry that no one has replied to your post! :( I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to microscopes, but it seems like it's a good deal from reading its description! I hope your vet likes it, too. Hopefully it'll be well used there! :smile:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:p Thanks TabbCat. I wrote to the vet who microchipped my dogs eight years ago and she was really nice. She has a practice in San José and she is busy, but she gave me a lot of advice and recommended that I buy one of these for $200-300. I was surprised they are so cheap!
Now I will need a MailBoxes account since they don´t ship to Costa Rica. :kittyturn

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
21CR,
I don't know about your vet, but I'd sure have a blast with that!! :p
I had a small one when I was growing up and it opened up a whole new world to explore!!
There's got to be someone on this forum, that works in a vet clinic, that has some idea of good microscopes!
Sharon

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol Sharon, I told the vet who sent me this link that I like this microscope so much that I might keep it for myself. I love photography and biology so I would probably spend hours looking at things and taking pictures.

Also, whenever I send fecal or epithelial tissue samples they always come back negative, so this would be cheaper and much more fun :lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
21CR,
I've been looking for a Special Bug/Insect, where I work, so I could get a picture of her to send to you!
She seems to have moved now, dog gone it!
I know, if I can get a pic, you'd appreciate her "unique" beauty! ;):D
Sharon

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would love that :D Just make sure to give warning. I very naively posted a picture of a bot-fly larva that I pulled out of a dog´s paw, and I got a lot of flack :D You would have thought that people with pets would have a stronger stomach.

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
LOL! It always makes me wonder, if you can't handle some of the things that happen with a pet...
How are you going to cope with a baby human?!!!;):p

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
WARNING! Big Bug Pictures!
21CR,
YAY! She came back! 1404864932838.jpg 1404864988520.jpg
And a description of what she is! 1404865029161.jpg
The Native Americans here called them "Child of the Earth".

I know Costa Rica is rich in unique species!
Sharon

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMG Sharon you have such good books! It looks a cross between an ant and a spider :D
Niña de la Tierra, yes and I thought this was funny:
Said to be able to deliver a strong bite, but also to make a good pet.
Let me see if I can embed a picture:

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
Oh Cool! A Walking Stick! It looks so fragile! :D
Bet that one would tickle, if it was walking on you! :p

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
Here is a "Walking Stick" found in the US!
1404868683522.jpg
And Description!
1404868729895.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You call them Walking Sticks over here? It´s a Stick Insect in the UK.

Well it looks like you´ve been adopted. You´ll have to change your nick again: 10cats2dogs1creepy-crawly.

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
LOL! Up to a few years ago, I had a pet Tarantula, named Dusty, she made it to 20 years! And I still have a pet Bull Snake, I found when she was a little tiny thing, had her now since 1994...
Hugs!
Sharon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts