Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dilemma and would very much welcome some advice. Some neighbours have a beautiful young ginger male who was, we thought, visiting our garden to be friendly. Alas, it appears he is using our lawn as his toilet facility, mainly at night.

We have our own beautiful torteshell cat, 13 years old, who has made more descreet toilet arrangements somewhere in the soil at the back of the garden near the compost heap.

Our dilemma is what to use to stop the visiting cat soiling our lawn without this affecting our own beloved mog's use ofo the garden.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
The only thing I can think of is to ask your neighbors to stop letting him out at night. There are sprays and other deterrents, but using them would definitely mess up your torti's arrangements. He probably smells her droppings, and assumes that it is the best outdoor-potty box around.

Hey, maybe you can have a talk with your neighbor, and let them know what is going on. Perhaps they can prepare an area in their yard just for ginger-boy to use.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
I'm guessing by your spelling of 'neighbour' that you are from the UK?

If thats the case, my only advice would be to cat proof your garden so that the ginger cat cant get in. But that would mean that your girl couldnt get out of the garden either. Is she normally allowed out of the garden?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your replies, yes I'm in the UK.

cat proof your garden
that's made me chuckle :) I don't know how you'd go about doing that to be honest. We live in an 18th century stone house, surrounded by stone walls, with a farmer's field on one side and separated by stone walls from our nearest next door neighbours. There are several gorgeous, well looked after (and well behaved) cats living locally. They're very territorial, as you'd expect, all have 'their' own gardens to patrol and chase each other out if there's a perceived intrusion... this new little ginger lives two houses down the road, his family are currently going through some upheaval and I wouldn't want to pester them at the moment as they have enough to contend with.

My cat has her own large garden (and the next door field she seems to think is part of her territory, except when the farmer puts his cows in during the summer months), she takes great exception to 'intruders' but the little ginger seems to be coming over to visit at night when she's tucked up, fast asleep on my bed.

I've asked at the local pet shop this afternoon and given a couple of suggestions
1. Scatter orange/lemon peel around the lawn as cats apparently aren't partial to the smell
2. Fill a plastic lemonade bottle half full with water and leave to roll around on the grass as this (apparently) scares off cats

:) we'll see

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Cats are, for the most part, creatures of habit. This ginger kitty is going to jump the wall the same place to enter your garden.
If you can observe where he jumps or climbs the wall to get into your yard, you can place a deterrent there. There are motion-activated sprinklers you can place, or motion activated noisemakers.
Of course, you can always put some citrus, or onion, or garlic along your wall, making a scent barrier, as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks gunterkat, excellent suggestion. The garden is full of snow at the moment so I will wait until it has gone before trying the scent barrier

1 - 6 of 6 Posts