Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morse jumped on the gas heating stove we had. He burned his pads on his paws. They don't look like they blistered and he got off it really quick but he was limping a bit. We put Calendula on his paws because it said it is non-toxic. I have antibiotic ointment that I could use (that's what I would put on my own burns). I'm assuming watch for infection and skin sloughing off just like a human. He looks kinda uncomfortable - are there any human pain relievers he can have?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Morse needs to go to the vet. Poor baby, that must hurt! I would take him to the emergency vet if it were me.

·
Super Moderator
26,804 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Called the emergency vet and they said just to watch him for tonight. They said not to put anything on them and to watch if the skin changes color. My poor baby.

EDIT - Truckee Emergency Vets are only open Emergency hours on Friday through Monday. I live in a little mountain town so it probably does not make sense from an financial standpoint for them to be open weekdays when only locals are around. Sad, I know. We use the emergency vet in Reno, NV.

·
Super Moderator
26,804 Posts
Poor little guy. :patback

·
Registered
237 Posts
For future reference run them through cool to luke warm (never ice water) or go to PetSmart and buy specialized burn ointment (to have on hand in case it's ever needed). Burns continue to cause damage after the source is removed. The water or ointment stops the progression of the heat to limit tje amount of damage done.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Poor Morse he must be in so much pain. My sister's siamese kitten did the same thing a few years ago, ran over the wood stove. Our vet said to give her arnica for pain, which she did and it worked very well. Maddie seemed to be more comfortable shortly after taking it and she would settle right down.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am pleased to say that Morse is up to his usual antics this morning, which includes having the kitty crazies. No limping, tearing through the house and sliding on the wood floors. I wrapped wet paper towels around his paws as soon as I caught him. His pads look normal this morning. I'm not sure how much of him trying to pull away last night was pain, and how much was him thinking I was going to cut his nails. He hates having his paws handled. Anyhow, he did great. I felt much better after calling the emergency vet in Reno, and after hearing from you guys. I think I'm just paranoid when it comes to him!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always chased him off it this summer cause he would sit on top of it. The pilot light puts out a bit of heat so I'm assuming that is what the appeal is. Yesterday was the first time it turned on (it turns on automatically when the room is 60 degrees or lower), and he watched the flames for awhile. He did wait for it to turn off before jumping on it, but it was still too soon. I got him from the shelter, and he was an owner surrender, so I wonder if they had one that cooled down quicker.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts