Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Nightfury, stray, 2 months
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new kitten owner of a 2 month old, Nightfury. She is a stray. But she just doesnt want to eat or drink anything. She hardly has 2 meals a day only if i feed her with a spoon. Tried giving her milk and water but no joy. Somewhere around day before yesterday I thought she got her appetite back when she hogged on to Whiskas wet food and some boiled chicken but that too lasted for just a day. Today she has hardly eaten anything throughout the day. I am really worried for her. She sleeps the entire day and is active at night.
When I picked her off the street last week, I bathed her and took her to a vet for regular vaccination. Also completed her first de-worming schedule two days back. But no joy.

Can someone help me with her because my heart breaks to see her starving.

thank you in advance.

Girish

·
Registered
504 Posts
Two more questions; how much does she eat when you feed her? How much does she weigh? I'm sorry that she isn't eating. I hope that she starts eating soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Kitty827,

1. She sleeps through the day and stays up all night. I dont let her out of the house so i play with her 10-15 mins everyday (catnip, fetch). But I am the one who has to initiate everytime. So yes i would call her lethargic and pretty thin.

2. She weighs 1.6 kg and doesnt eat much when i feed her (40 grams the most in one feed, 2 feeds a day). I have tried giving her salmon, tuna, chicken and other local fish). She simply refuses to eat.

3. Another update: she hasnt meowed or purred today at all and is just confined to her bed. I have decided to take her to a vet tomorrow.

Further inputs are welcome. Am i doing something wrong.😔

Thank you.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Taking her to the vet is your best option. It sounds like she may be sick. 1.6 kg is small for a 2 month old kitten.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Taking her to the vet is your best option. It sounds like she may be sick. 1.6 kg is small for a 2 month old kitten.
Hi,

I took her to a vet. She is diagnosed with Feline panleukopenia virus and has 50% chance of survival. She is admitted now for the next 7 days under observation.

I really hope she gets better. Praying for her. I hope when i post my next message, she is in my arms all healthy 😔

Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello,

She is back!!!!! Discharged today by the vet. She pulled through. Although she hasn't recovered fully, she is apparently out of danger. She did lose a lot of weight though. Was on IV for the last 7 days because she wasnt eating anything solid. She has been given 14 days of oral medicines (which i find it difficult to administer). She has started eating better now. I hope she gets back her appetite.
I did forget to ask the vet about something. She as developed a wound due to the injections that were administered to her and the vet has removed the surgical tape. I have attached a image. Now she is licking the wound continuously. Is that ok? Is it natural for cats to lick their wounds?

Thank you for all the help and prayers.

Regards

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yay! I'm so glad that she's home, and doing better. I hope and pray that she continues to do so. Yes, it's normal for cats to lick their wounds. If their wounds are open, then it's likely for them to become infected.

·
Super Moderator
26,676 Posts
Great update! This is what I've done in the past - take a long-sleeved baby onesie, pick a size that won't be tight, cut off the sleeve and pull it over her leg. Then secure both ends with an ace bandage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yay! I'm so glad that she's home, and doing better. I hope and pray that she continues to do so. Yes, it's normal for cats to lick their wounds. If their wounds are open, then it's likely for them to become infected.
Yes, it indeed feels great she is back home. Just hoping she starts eating normally. I read somewhere cleaning the wound with warm salt water might help with the infection. Gonna try that.

Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great update! This is what I've done in the past - take a long-sleeved baby onesie, pick a size that won't be tight, cut off the sleeve and pull it over her leg. Then secure both ends with an ace bandage.
Oh thats a nice one!! Surely gonna try that.

Thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello again,

Can you please help me with yet another query. My kitten, post discharge from the vet, just wants to eat boiled chicken and drink milk day in n day out. She loved eating tuna, salmon wet food pouches (make-whiskas) and also dry treats (make-drools) but for some reason isnt interested at all now.
1. Is this behaviour normal? Are kittens that moody when it comes to food?
2. Is it a good idea to starve her for sometime so that she starts eating that stuff again? (Mind u, she is on medication for pan luekopenia) although the medication includes appetite booster.
3. Is this due to medication that she has lost her appetite?

Thank you

·
Registered
504 Posts
Cats can be picky eaters. Since she's on medication, that may affect her eating. I don't know for sure if that would though. Please don't stave her to get her to eat other foods. Is she drinking cow's milk? Give her some time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cats can be picky eaters. Since she's on medication, that may affect her eating. I don't know for sure if that would though. Please don't stave her to get her to eat other foods. Is she drinking cow's milk? Give her some time.
Yes, she is drinking cow's milk and water. So she is hydrated enough. N goes crazy over boiled chicken.
Hopefully after 14 days of medication she may get her appetite back. I was thinking on the same lines wherein we humans lose our appetite wen we are on meds as well.

Thanks a ton.

·
Registered
504 Posts
As long as she's eating, I wouldn't worry to much. Boiled chicken is probably better for her than cat food. You're welcome! All the best!

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
at two months old, and fighting this...she needs all the calories she can get! Can you find some goats milk? Better than cows milk, many, many cats react badly to cows milk!
If you can't find goats milk, look for a product, called KMR, this is a replacement for a mothers milk.
Try different foods with her, although boiled chicken, is better than her not eating at all, it will not give her all the nutrition required, especially for her age!
You can also try some human baby food, just make sure, no garlic added!
I keep a few jars of Gerber baby food ham around, just in case!
Good luck with your baby!
❤🐾🐾

Reactions: Girish

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

I am new kitten owner of a 2 month old, Nightfury. She is a stray. But she just doesnt want to eat or drink anything. She hardly has 2 meals a day only if i feed her with a spoon. Tried giving her milk and water but no joy. Somewhere around day before yesterday I thought she got her appetite back when she hogged on to Whiskas wet food and some boiled chicken but that too lasted for just a day. Today she has hardly eaten anything throughout the day. I am really worried for her. She sleeps the entire day and is active at night.
When I picked her off the street last week, I bathed her and took her to a vet for regular vaccination. Also completed her first de-worming schedule two days back. But no joy.

Can someone help me with her because my heart breaks to see her starving.

thank you in advance.

Girish
So sad, I am sorry for your kitty and you. After rescuing her, it should be a happy time for you both.
I have some information which may or may not help you. Boiled chicken was a great choice I believe. Here too is my own discovery to the not eating situation. (I wonder what your vet said)?

I'd like to post a couple of remedies that, after 10 years of trial and error, I finally found relief for these awful conditions. (Remedy is without medications).

1) Gingivitis Stomatitis (inflamed gums, unable to eat without pain)

2) Pruritus (itchy, achy skin, often at tail area)

GIGIVITIS STOMATITIS:

Results will not be immediate, but if consistently do this, every day, I have found this to be the only help I could find so far. Based on poor immune system, decided to boost as best I could.
*feed soft food only, with raw meat ground well- add to the canned meat or usual food. Then, this is so important, buy best quality Fish oil, with highest EPA and DHA. Add this to cats food. Also, I add Colostrum from goats, and often add Aloe Vera gel to soothe. I do this daily. Last but not least, I offer a heat lamp for comfort. 8 months later, they are all doing much better. No obvious pain and they all eat without hesitation, finally.

Outcome is that the cats with the disease are able to eat, they are putting on weight and playful again...
(we had one cat with Gingivitis Stomatitis so bad, we had his teeth removed. This did not stop the ulcerated mouth, helped somewhat, but did nothing to help his immune system). This diet has significantly helped. I know someone out there is struggling (as I was), to find any help for their pet.

PRURITIS: Just today, after years of many ointments, baths and scratching, I discovered a remedy that made my cat actually want to get into the bath, rather than claw her way out. First time ever!
I half way filled kitchen sink with body temp water. Then added 2-3 tablespoons of Turmeric, 2-3 tablespoons of Nutmeg, (believe it or not) and finally added one small box of baking soda. (also a couple of squirts of clear herbal shampoo). Stirred and added cat. Then, with a tall cup, I repeatedly poured this over her. Again and again until she insisted on getting out. Rinsed her first, then warm toweled dry. That was 2 hours ago, she just came out to thank me. No biting wildly anymore, no meowing in agony. I cannot believe it. Had to tell someone. So here you go. (reference Herbpathy.com)

Also, aging cats need nails clipped! Found mine could not walk right, then saw her claws were returning to her toes. Ouch! poor thing. Now I check them regularly, as they grow so fast in older cats.

Hope someone is helped by this information!

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Am hoping 'Night Fury' love the name! Wil be on the road to full recovery soon! You definitely need to try and get her eating other canned foods! Add a little bit of water, to the canned, it will help with hydration!
She does need all the calories, she can get right now, battling pan luekupenia (sp?)
She's still a baby at only two months old!
Best Wishes!
❤🐾🐾

Reactions: Girish

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
at two months old, and fighting this...she needs all the calories she can get! Can you find some goats milk? Better than cows milk, many, many cats react badly to cows milk!
If you can't find goats milk, look for a product, called KMR, this is a replacement for a mothers milk.
Try different foods with her, although boiled chicken, is better than her not eating at all, it will not give her all the nutrition required, especially for her age!
You can also try some human baby food, just make sure, no garlic added!
I keep a few jars of Gerber baby food ham around, just in case!
Good luck with your baby!
❤🐾🐾
Will surely try to get goat milk and baby food. Trying to feed her boiled fish today. Hope she eats that.

Thank you

1 - 20 of 28 Posts