Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat is suddenly limping and has no desire to eat, even when I got out some wet food that she loves.
She was totally fine this morning, and has been under the bed all day.. Normal for her to do until early evening, but then she typically comes out. When she didn't, I brought her out from under the bed and she just wants to crawl back under. Could she just have twisted it funny? She's my baby and I'm probably overreacting, but it really freaks me out how weird she's acting. Of course if she is still having problems tomorrow I will call a vet. Is the not-eating most likely linked to her leg being in pain? I can't feel anything obviously wrong with her legs or body.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
If she's still limping tomorrow, I would definitely take her to the vet. Cats are masters at hiding pain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely will be getting up at 6am to take her to the vet when it opens at 7 if she's still limping. I lifted her onto my bed and she took a few treats, still no interest on wet food or water though.. She did purr finally when I pet her (she wouldn't earlier) so I feel a little better. She's sleeping in my lap right now. I just hate to see her like this. I hate that she's in pain and I don't know why and cant do anything for her right now :(

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
When Cali was limping (after I heard a crash in the kitchen), the next morning she wouldn't walk on her leg at all. The E.R. vet manipulated her paw and joints and Cali didn't make a peep. Xrays revealed two broken toes!

Your cat may be better in the morning, you never know. But it's awful when they're not 100%, isn't it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is so awful! Hate seeing her hurting. I just don't know how she could have gotten hurt, no high places she could have jumped from.. Hopefully she's better tomorrow. She really hates the vet. (I'm sure most do!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called the my usual vet from home this morning (I'm out of town right now.. figures!) and she said to keep an eye on her tonight, and if there's no improvement to take her in first thing tomorrow. So I have an appointment at 7am tomorrow at a local vet clinic. She seems much happier in general today, her pupils are normal now, but she still isn't all that interested in food. Did take a few bites of dry, and I'm going to go offer her some wet food now and see if she wants it.. Still limping on that leg.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Pain will definitely inhibit her appetite to eat. One of the clues that cats give that are in pain. Hope she's better soon, and you'll give an update.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: I didn't end up taking her to the vet, as she started showing improvement, and the vet causes extreme stress for her. She has started eating and drinking, stopped limping, and isn't hiding under the bed all day anymore(still there a bit more than usual, though).
She does still seem to be keeping more to herself, and less affectionate. Except when I'm walking around, she meows at me very loudly and intensely, and I just cannot figure out what she wants! She has two different kinds of foods available to her 24/7 right now, wet food twice a day, and tap water along with bottled water so she can drink what she wants. So I don't know what the meowing is about.
I just don't know what to do about her, being so weird.. It's not that she's doing anything that bad, the way she has acted the last four days could be completely normal for another cat; just not Minnie.
I am so on the fence about taking her to the vet, because I hate to cause her a lot of stress if this will pass, but of course if there IS something wrong, I want to know! Just to be clear, this is absolutely not about money. Just don't know what would be best for her. She hates strangers, hates car rides..

Side note-I'm supposed to be flying home from Las Vegas to Wisconsin on September 5th. To fly she needs to get a health certificate within 10 days. A week from now I can take her in to get her health certificate, because it would be within 10 days.. should I wait out this week and as long as she doesn't start limping/stop eating again, just take her in Monday and ask the vet then if he sees/feels anything wrong? It's a very brief exam getting her health certificate. I've also considered just getting the health certificate to get home, and then if she's still not herself within a couple days of being home, take her to my usual vet instead of trying to find a good vet here in Las Vegas?

This is really stressing me out! Any opinions? I hope this post makes sense. I'm not great at explaining things, and there are just so many options flying around in my brain.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think if Minnie is still not acting like her usual self, you should take her to the vet right away, just to be on the safe side. If you wait until next week and something shows up on the health certificate exam, you may not want to put her through the stress of flying home with you and then where will you be?

I think someone here uses Feliway right before they take their cat to the vet. It might help with her stress. Also, maybe there is someone here who can recommend a vet in Las Vegas for you.

When I had my first cats, I was always reluctant to take them to the vet, because they would get "stressed out". I finally realized that I was not good with dealing with the fact that they might have been sick and that was the real reason I wouldn't take them right away. Fortunately it was never an issue for them. Now I take my current cats to the vet if they are not acting their usual selves for more than a day or so, even if there are no real symptoms. My cat Felix, was just "off" for two days - I took him into the vet Monday morning first thing when they opened and they found that he had a heart murmur and sent me that day to a cardiologist. I shudder to think what might have happened if I had not taken him in right away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I can definitely see your point. I just hate to put her through two vet visits, and possibly three if I take her again when we're home with our usual vet, if I can avoid it. If she wasn't able to fly home I would stay here until she was well enough, but I do see where you're coming from.

Any idea where you would find Feliway? Would they carry it at petco/petsmart?
I will definitely figure out where to post and see if anyone has a good vet recommendation. I'm completely unfamiliar with this area!

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I'm pretty sure both of the chains carry it, or something similar. The one I use is called At Ease. It must be a Petsmart, because it's a Whisker City product. I've found that it works amazingly well. It needs a few minutes to take effect, which is just enough time to put the carrier down (really quietly) in the hallway, close the bedroom doors so kitty can't get under the queen size bed, peek under the loveseat and couch, turn whichever one kitty is under on its back, and pour her into the carrier. I sometimes spray the inside of the car before we get in.

Good luck, and I hope kitty's ok!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts