Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! So good to be back on this forum. You helped me make a decision about putting my beloved Max down years ago when he was suffering from cancer.

My almost 15 year old kitty who has kidney disease was admitted to the emergency hospital on Tuesday night (72 hours ago). He wasn't eating much, wasn't drinking much, and was shuddering. He's been receiving IV fluids and antibiotics for 3 days. He has an e-coli urinary tract infection.

After the first 24 hours, his kidney values hadn't changed and had in fact gotten a little higher. After the second 24 hours, they had gone down. Good improvement. After 72 hours, the values are basically the same as last night.

I have two choices at this point: Give him another 24 hours at the emergency vet on IV fluids and antibiotics or take him home tonight and administer subcutaneous fluids and continue the antibiotics. I think we'll be at $5,000 at 8 am tomorrow, so the total if we keep him there until tomorrow afternoon (for one last blood panel before release) will be around $5,500.

What should I do? The vet is on the fence. I'm on the fence. Any ideas? I want to know I've tried everything, but the vet thinks this just might be the level his kidneys now live at. Oh, by the way, he's eating like a champ. Thank you! Amy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for asking! We're picking him up around 6 pm tonight. Hoping that 96 hours of IV fluids and antibiotics (supplemented by subQ fluids and continued antibiotics at home) will give him the support he needs to knock out the UTI and bring his kidney values down. He was at 3.3 creatine in November. Now at 4.6. Keep your fingers crossed. Thanks!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Is 4.6 better than 3.3? Or worse? The best thing for him is to come home. I hope he gets better. Fingers crossed. Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Prayers for your guy. I have 2 cats who are older and in the start of kidney failure. One thing that helps them is soft pate food because it has a high water count so helps fight dehydration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts