Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I won't go into the long story about my cat here, so short story is that he's fat. Really fat.

I'm not sure what he was being fed at the shelter/vet's office but I presume it was some variation of Science Diet; that's what was given to me when I left with him.

Now right off the bat, I was pretty sure that SD was no good and that I'd have to switch, but I figured that I'd use up what I had first since it was free. So I did some research and confirmed that SD sucks giant, uhh.. dingleberries? xD

So fast-forward three weeks and I've 1. talked to a over-zealous cat groomer who scared with her forceful enthusiasm 2. asked my vet how much I should be feeding Grim and he said "whatever it says on the back of the bag is fine." ......

So then two days ago I was in Petco returning some things and thought I might as well take a look at some cat food to see what all they have; I ended up spending almost two hours in there. (Honestly it could have been more X__X) I tried to look up brands on my phone, although not too successfully, and talked to one of the employees there, and she actually knew what she was talking about for the most part.

In the end I went home with: 1 can of Spot's Stew, 1 can of Wellness Chicken, 1 can of Natural Balance Indoor, 2 cans of Before Grain (chicken and salmon) and 1 bag of Before Grain Salmon.

I decided No on Spot's Stew because Grim ate around all the veggies in it, No to Natural Balance Indoor because Indoor kinds turn out to be higher in carbs, returning the Wellness because it was part of the recall ;___;, but after that I'm lost.

I don't know if I should try regular Natural Balance, I don't know if I should try a non-recalled can of Wellness, I don't know if I should stay with Before Grain (since Grim seemed to really like that one and earlier today/yesterday I thought I had decided on it), I don't know if I should return my bag of BG Salmon because 1. some people say to not feed fish for various reasons 2. some people say to not feed any dry for cats trying to lose weight.
Help? D:

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
We have food experts here on the forum (Oh Liiiiiiisssssaaaaaa), but my two cents is to avoid the food with salmon or other types of fish.

I gave Murphy some Trader Joe's Ocean Fish about a month ago, and while he absolutely loved it, he started throwing up every day. The throwing up could have been from him being outside and chewing on grass too, but as soon as I eliminated both of those things, he stopped throwing up.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I'm not an expert on cat food, but until the experts come along, my suggestion would be to (a) avoid kibble if you're trying to get your cat to lose weight, and (b) feed grain-free wet food...whichever one your cat will eat, but either avoid fish flavors or don't feed them too often.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have a cat with major digestive sensitivities, so I ended up going overboard on the cat food research and ultimately ended up with a fairly strict set of rules for what I will or will not feed my cats.

In general, my personal recommendations are: grain-free canned (moisture is important in a cat's diet and grain adds an unnecessary amount of carbs and potential allergens) or raw (balanced homemade or low-carb premade).

I second the above recommendations to keep fish to a minimum. I don't mind fish oil in food, but I avoid any food that is primarily fish-flavored or uses fish as one of its main protein sources. Too much raw fish can cause thiamine deficiency, and too much of any fish can sometimes be a cause of allergies, or lead to "fish addiction" where the cat starts refusing anything without fish in it.

Variety is also a great way to ensure your cat doesn't get too much or too little of any one thing. I rotate several flavors of raw (chicken, turkey, rabbit), and a few brands and flavors of canned (quail, chicken, turkey, duck, beef).

And of course everyone has different brands they like most, and some of this will come down to what your cats like most and what is financially viable, but my personal favorite canned brands that I've fed are: Merrick, Wellness, and Blue Buffalo Wilderness. My preferred premade raw brand is Primal. There are other good choices out there too though so I'm sure others will have some great recommendations as well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Your Petco still had recalled cans of Wellness? Are you sure? My Petco got rid of those weeks ago, didn't have Wellness on the shelves for awhile, and replaced them with non-recalled cans at least two weeks ago. Wellness is a great brand...don't give up on it! :)

My cats LOVE Wellness (I get the grain free varieties, but not CORE since Spencer won't eat it), and they love BG. Lily also loves Weruva, but Spencer won't touch it.

I've never had the fish problems, since my cats actually seem to like chicken and turkey more, so I do occasionally feed BG salmon, and I also have some Weruva varieties that contain fish. I don't feed fish nearly as much as the others, though.

I recommend rotating flavors and brands. Spencer is our picky eater, and we've got even him eating a select few varieties of both Wellness and BG.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so... should I return the BG Salmon or would it be okay to use since the portion of dry I'm feeding will only be about 1/4th cup?

Also I'm 100% agreeing on grain-free if my jumbled first post confused anyone. I'm just worried that maybe I'm playing favourites with BG and I should be giving the others more of a chance.
Gosh this is a hard decision >___<

@saitenyo Too much raw fish or too much fish in general cause the deficieny?

@yellowdaises Yuppp. =/ I saw the recall online and called them up and they said they knew about it and removed the cans from their shelves, but that one of them must have got mixed back in with the others.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I'm not certain, but I think it's just raw fish that can cause thiamine deficiency. I believe thiaminase (the thing that binds to thiamine) is degraded in the cooking process. There are still concerns with cooked fish too though, as others have mentioned. But as long as your cat isn't a fish addict, in small amounts it should be okay.

One of the foods I feed contains a very small amount of fish (and it is raw fish actually), but I don't worry because I rotate different varieties, which solves the issue of any deficiency.

That actually applies to the recalled Wellness too! Since the recall is over a vitamin deficiency (thiamine again, in fact) rather than any toxin or containment, as long as the Wellness is only a small part of the diet, feeding some of the recalled cans should be totally fine. Since I only feed canned once a week and rotate brands, I didn't bother taking any of my recalled cans back since I only had two or three. One or two meals low in thiamine among other totally balanced meals aren't going to do any harm. Just like you or I could get away with eating potato chips for dinner one day on a whim and be fine, even though we definitely wouldn't want to make that a regular thing. ;)

Edit: And obviously like others said, any cans outside the recall date should be fine to feed regularly. Wellness has a good track record and a good ingredients list. I'm very pleased with their canned food.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts