Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Last night, a cat wandered through our catflap and got into our house. I was woken at 1am when I heard it ‘chirping’ in our spare room. It didn’t seem hostile, but one of our cats looked terrified, and was sitting VERY low to the ground. I moved him into our bedroom, and tried to get the stranger cat downstairs. It didn’t seem aggressive, and after a couple of minutes, it raced downstairs and went through the catflap.
Then at 3am, it had got back in, as I heard our other cat ‘yowling’ in that way that cats do when a fight is imminent. I rushed out again, and chased the other cat outside. This time, I locked the catflap so he couldn’t get back in.
Both my cats (who are a fair bit smaller than this stranger) seemed very shaken up and scared, so I tried to reassure them. But is there anything we can do to stop this stranger cat from coming in? We don’t want to lock the catflap at night, as we don’t wish to stop our cats from coming and going (we live in a very safe area, with very few cars etc).
Knowing that this cat always gets into our back yard the same way, should I be putting some tinfoil down (I gather cats hate the feel of it on their paws/claws), or perhaps some citrus peel, or pepper etc, to ward it off? It seems a perfectly nice cat, but we don’t want him pestering and scaring our two boys!
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
You could try blocking off the area the cat enters from but odds are it will find another way in if it wants to. Is there food the cat is coming inside for? If there is, move the food. But there's no real way to stop it from entering your home, unless you close the door off at night to discourage it.

I've had a similar issue with a feral cat in the house downstairs at odd hours of the night... I've just let it do its thing, it doesn't seem to fight with my cat and I don't want to cut off its food source. There also used to be two stupidly friendly sibling cats that would always come in our yard, no way to stop them waltzing around everywhere like they owned the place, I've never met such trusting cats - the kind that should never be outside. Luckily the owner only rented a place close by for a very short time. Anyway, long story short, I have no idea how to help you outside of closing the cat door and trying to remove any reason it might be coming inside, maybe trying to scare it away would work, but I don't know if that would do any good.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I had the same problem and solved it very quickly. I must go now, the (former) stranger is requesting her dinner in bed.

:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts