Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A stray whom I'd been seriously hesitating between her and Princess and in the end I chose Princess, tonight got into my apt. building, the elevator with me, and into my home when I opened the door. I'm hoping Prince will chase her out, because 3 cats is definitely too much for a small apt. But Prince, much as he's kept Princess in terror for over 6 months, is now scared of the stray and is hiding!!

What should I do for the sake of all 4 concerned????

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
3 may not be too much, but I know someone that this way got to 10 cats and then wasn't able to find a place to live by rent. I'm terrified!!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
We have a cat door and we used to have this cat come in and steal food. We called him Mr. Gray. He would nap on the patio too.

One night there was a baby racoon in there eating the cat food and where were the cats? On the patio asleep. (I was just glad they didn't tangle)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If you can somehow get Prince and Princess into separate rooms, set a humane trap (or a drop trap), and catch the new one. Then put it back outside. Or if it really likes you and will follow you if you tempt with a treat, just lead it back to the elevator and back down to the ferals.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or, keep him :) He chose you!! lol. :p
I guess so.... She'd been trying to get into the elevator for about a month now but I always discouraged her without kicking her, and she was a bit apprehensive of the elevator. Once she had climbed all 7 floors to my apt. but Prince didn't let her beyond the entrance corridor of the apt. so I wasn't worried, I thought the same would happen last night...

We all slept peacefully through the night, they all purred contentedly, she chose her bed where she doesn't let Prince anywhere near.

My cats are so used to her, the three of them have sat together for over a year now in the feeding station and in the building lobby, a couple hours daily, maybe they don't notice any difference....

Or maybe all **** will hang loose when they wake up...

Part of me is utterly blissed - that is the big problem. :(

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'm split on this. It's great that they're somewhat getting along AND the fact that she chose you out of the entire apartment building. However, I agree that it may be a burden. I love my Miu and Cap'n Jack but sometimes I wonder how my life would be if I didn't have cats. I'm a very picky person and so I spend a lot of time on them.

I hope you find a solution that works for you soon.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm so torn about this I have a knot in my stomach. I left the 3 of them alone all day as I went to work, I must've been crazy. Now I came back, gave them a nice dinner and the 3 are eating peacefully as if we'd all lived together forever. Bianquita (that's her name) uses the litter box and her bed naturally as if she'd lived here forever. Even Princess seems a lot more relaxed now. This is all surreal...

Bianquita was the first cat to ever have a relationship with me. Then came Princess, and last it was Prince. Prince was just the first to follow me to my apt., that's why he got adopted first. Princess was a tough decision between her and Bianquita (I decided on Princess because Bianquita is VERY assertive. Then I spent nights sleeping with Bianquita in the building lobby last winter so she wouldn't have to sleep in the streets. She'll cost me less living inside than outside, that's for sure, less vet bills if she's not in the streets. I'll have to lie and say I have only 1 cat when I need to move to a new rented place.

For now, I agree that if the 3 of them get along, she can stay...

·
Registered
25 Posts
3 definitely changes the dynamics of the kitty relationships.
Seems like for the better, no one wants to be the odd cat out and have the other 2 gang up on them so they get along.
My mom has a pretty strict three-cat-rule for this reason. Before I moved out, since I can remember I always had at least three cats. (When one passed away, she always seemed to find a way to rescue another one.) Whenever she only had two she said the cats were very separate and never hung out or cuddled, but with three cats they always slept as what we called "a pile of cats." All intertwined in a ball of furry goodness. She also tried to stay under 4 or 5.. because with that many cats, they turn into a kitty mafia-- they planned food-raiding schemes and they stopped following rules...

And to straysmommy, I don't think my mom ever told any of our landlords that we had multiple cats. My landlord doesn't know I have one cat! (He wants an extra $200 for the security deposit, and another $25 every month.. screw that. My neighbor wishes she had done the same thing.) So if that's what you're worried about, it really isn't hard and personally I do not think its immoral. I think its immoral to charge that much for one cat. Maybe a dog... but a cat? C'mon.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Bianquita went to a lot of effort. You've been chosen.

If 3 is too much for a small apartment you may need to rent a second apartment. Are any of the neighboring apartments available?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So far so good... Just seeing her sleep between pink fleece blankets instead of all wet and covered in mud under a car, in the storm, as I used to see her each night , makes my life worth living... :) She hasn't made any moves to leave, doesn't sound like she's desperate to go back outside. And she's so used to Prince, Princess and me, the live beings' sights, sounds and scents are not new - just the food and the facilities are more comfortable, and she's very used to going to new places with me, on strolls and inside the building, so for her nothing has changed much. She's getting a visit to the vet very soon, though.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Should I put new adoption back in the street?

I feel at a loss. I adopted a new, stray cat last week when she followed me home. She had been spending a couple hours with Prince and me each night when I feed the strays, for over a year. She has a problem that if a cat gets too near, she attacks it. Because my apt is small, it happens a lot with Prince (not with Princess, who won't go out of my bedroom because Prince attacks her if she does). I don't have another room where I could confine the newcomer, and I also don't think it'd help, as Prince and her (Bianquita) have been sharing the building lobby and the garden for such a long time. They do have lots of vertical space to run to, but the problem arises only when Prince passes by quickly near her, or stares at her for a few seconds. She was like this before too, with the other strays. She'll attack, get the other cat to run away scared, and immediately she'll go into hiding and become depressed and lie down for a very long time, sometimes she even wouldn't come to eat the next day.

My 3 cats are all street, sure-death rescues. We don't have shelters in this country, so putting her back outside kills me. But I'll do it if this continues, because I know Prince will escape if I don't, and that would kill me a lot more. He's my all.

All well-meaning advice will be welcome for the sake of these 3 poor rescue cats who now have a chance at a bit of a life instead of horrible death.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wanted to rescue these 3 cats ever since I started feeding the colony. She was the last I adopted because I knew she had an aggressivity problem, and I wouldn't have adopted her if she hadn't made the firm decision herself not to budge. I even took her to the street "for a stroll" a couple days ago, hoping she'd want to stay, but she didn't even go out of the building lobby, as if she knew I'd never take her back home if she did (which was probably true). I love her with all my heart, she was the first cat that ever came close to me and became a companion, following me everywhere in the streets around. She's also beautiful in my eyes, and so tiny and fragile (because she was neutered as a kitten, she never grew much). She's very young, and I think her paranoia will receed with time, but I'm in panic that Prince might escape.

I also wanted to mention that in this country there are zero adoptions of adult cats (and very few of kittens).

I'm waiting for the vet to come examine and give her all shots on Monday evening, counting the hours.

I have a huge, beautiful cat loft (dog-training cage, for a cat it has 2 floors) in the living room where I could confine her, it's sitting right next to her. Just a question of closing the door when she goes in there to play during the day. That might get her used to Prince running around her without her being able to attack him. I don't know, just an idea.

Since they're both neutered, the attacks are only scary to Prince, not physically painful. But he's acting distressed, although he took her presence in the house very naturally because he's used to having her with us all the time, up to the door of the apt.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
My only advice is to give it more time and use the cage. In fact keeping her in the cage for a few days could help. I don't know. Trouble probably is jealousy and fear. Fear that you won't let her stay. I've heard of cats getting valium -- on this site I think. It's only used here for short tem anxiety. Maybe it would help.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you, jusjim, I too think it's jealousy and fear. I'll discuss it with the vet tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's a photo of the sweetie...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Bianquita is very sweet indeed.

I had the same prob with Miu and Cap'n Jack in the past as well. Miu would bully Jack around frequently. If he so much as walked past or even looked at her, she'd go smack him silly. I would feel sorry for him and at times, she bopped him hard enough that he would be shaking his head.

However, 1 yr down the line, they are almost best friends. She smacks him around much less and often, you could see them playing after mealtimes. There were even times when they would sleep in cat beds side by side without any fighting.

As tough as it is now, your situation may resolve itself over time as mine did.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.