Cat Forum banner

HELP!!??? Weaning problems? - Someone please respond!!

967 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Lilly 
#1 ·
We have (4 ) 6 week old kittens. The mother cat is 11-12 months old. Prior to her becoming pregnant and giving birth she was a very light eater. I understand that she is expected to eat considerably more than she did prior to becoming pregnant and giving birth but she just constantly seems to be starcing. She is eating at least 4 cans of the average sized very good quality wet food. She also is fed a dry food meant especially for kittens - we probably fill this bowl at least a few times a day. We have also been giving her cat milk and plenty of water.

In the past week I have been introducing the kittens to special food for them. However whenever I put out the food in the saucer for them Nellie- the mom- runs over and eats all of that food as well. This is always immediately after she has already eaten a substantial amountof food we just gave her. The kittens look at the food but never have the opportunity to go back and re-explore the food as I have read they should. Before their interest in the new food is peaked or even sparked, Nellie has devoured their food.

Is this normal? How will they ever be able to discover it for themselves if Nellie doesn't give them a chance to do their thing with it? Are we feeding Nellie enough? We have tried separating her from them when we put this food out but she does not like being away for long enough that they experience their new food. Any ideas or tips??? I originally posted this about 1 week ago. Still no better luck with getting th kittens to try the food before the mother cat eats it all. Still looking for some answers, help and or advice.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.